Redyeing T-shirts

I'm trying to redye my black t-shirts. The shirts are not plain black, I don't own any plain shirts. So the real question is, is it possible to redye them myself or have them professionally done somewhere, so that the pictures/words on the shirt won't get ruined?

Ernie from San Jose, CA

You generally can dye cotton or cotton/poly shirts without affecting the ink printing.

I would recommend you do NOT use RIT dye but instead purchase a higher quality dye from

Hope that helps

You should purchase professional dye from an art store. You'll need soda ash and salt. There should be directions on the package on how to do a cold dye bath. This would probably be the best way.

How old are these shirts? If they are so old they're fading, I'm not sure dying them is even worth it. T-shirts are meant to be disposable.

Consumer Advice Clothing AdviceSeptember 9, 2008