How to Keep Mice Out?

I would like to know how to keep rodents or mice out of a stored RV.

By Dick from NS

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

You could try one of those sonic repellers but no guarantee it will work. And it would mean keeping your RV powered. I would recommend putting poison pellets around under the cabinets and other areas you would expect mice to roam.

As a campground owner, this is what we find works: put strongly scented fabric softener sheets all around in your rv-on floors and furniture. Put moth balls all around the outside and below your rv. Some people also put moth balls inside, but it's hard to get that smell out when you want to use your rv.

When I had an RV and lived on a farm, I found that the most effective way to keep mice out of the RV was to park it close to the house where we had dozens of outside cats. We tried the mothball thing, and that didn't work, and also was a terrible smell in the RV. The cats, however, kept the mice away.

Your perfect solution is the cat/cats this eliminates all toxic substance harmful to humans and animals.

Answer

Does Irish Spring soap keep mice away?

By soupienevada from AZ

How to Keep Mice Out?

You can put out traps, you can put out poison bait that mice will eat, go back to their nest and die. You could hire an exterminator. But to keep mice out of the house you really need to find the opening that they use and seal it. They can get in through the smallest of openings. (07/21/2009)

By foxrun41

How to Keep Mice Out?

In my experience, nothing works better than a female cat. (07/22/2009)

By Patty Lynn

How to Keep Mice Out?

Last year we had mice in our camper, we had to clean and disinfect everything. I read a tip that they didn't like dryer sheets (I just bought the cheap ones at the dollar store). I put them everywhere, in the closet, on top of the stove elements, in the cupboards, and there was no sign of any mice in the spring in the camper. Try it it works. (07/23/2009)

By PICO

How to Keep Mice Out?

For all the holes where they come in, I stuff with S.O.S. or Brillo pads, the kind with the soap in them. Stuff it in tight and they will not chew it, even the 99cent store ones work. (07/24/2009)

By c t

How to Keep Mice Out?

Since our cat died a few years ago, mice started moving in to our house. We tried everything, nothing worked, moth balls, special tea bags, fabric softener, soap, you name them, we tried. We trapped all the mice, then a day or two later, there were more in our house again.

One day I heard it on the radio that the farmers out in Alberta, Canada, are using electronic pest chasers. These are non-toxic ultrasonic rodent repellents, output 105dB, to keep mice and rats out of their grain storage. We rushed off to the hardware store and bought a few packages (you can get individual unit or a package of two or three units). Our neighbour had mice inside her walls and on her ceilings between floors, she bought some pest chasers, too, they worked, the mice went away. Since then we (all of us) have been rodent free in our houses. It had been at least 5 years now.

You have to make sure to buy enough units of pest chasers to cover the size of each floor. The sound wave won't bother your cats and dogs, however, if you have pet rodents, like hamsters and gerbils, they won't like it.
(07/25/2009)

By Orcaskat

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Fall is coming to Michigan. I have an unreasonable fear of mice and this is when they are looking to get into the house. We live on a ravine, wooded lot and they love it here. We have spread lime granules around the foundation, bought those electric devices with the high pitched sound to keep them away (worthless) and set traps in the attached garage in the past.

My husband recently read that peppermint oil and fox urine are both mouse deterrents. Does anyone know the effectiveness of either of these? Or any other ideas? I'm open to anything, but want to find what works and just keep them away from the house period. Even them getting caught in traps in the garage is too close for me. We do have a small house dog, so poisons are scary. Thanks.

Sharon from Stevensville, MI

How to Keep Mice Out?

Try steel wool. When we moved into our new house I found dozens of holes the contractors left leading to the outside (or inside if you are a mouse) I stuffed steel wool into all of the holes including in the garage. They cannot chew through steel wool. (09/22/2008)

By DEBRADJ.

How to Keep Mice Out?

Buy the original Irish Spring soap (must be the original green soap), peel the soap with a potato peeler so you are making peels. Sprinkle this wherever you think that they are coming in. Keeps out squirrels and chipmunks too.

(09/22/2008)

By Cathy from MA

How to Keep Mice Out?

Get a cat. (09/22/2008)

By louel53

How to Keep Mice Out?

I have captured dozens of pesky mice. Fill a pail with water run a rod through a hole in each side of pail poke holes in pop or beer can put can in middle of rod. Put peanut butter on can. When they get on can voila fall in pail drowned mouse. It works and is cheap. Using soap, I think not. They love soap. (09/22/2008)

By ellablue

How to Keep Mice Out?

I looked through all this feedback, and I like my non-toxic, humane way best. I use a tilting trap that shuts once the mouse goes inside. I have a huge garbage can full of yard waste and I pop him into that, so he gets to live in paradise at the landfill. The traps are little plastic things, cheap enough to throw away in one piece if you want. I get them at WalMart and at my farm supply place. (09/22/2008)

By kimhis

How to Keep Mice Out?

The best thing I've ever found to get rid of mice and rats is a product called Ramik Bars. You can buy these at most farm supply stores or old fashioned hardware stores. They come 8 bars to a pack. You break them up and spread them around where you think the rodents are. They eat them, and they die.

But, unlike other poisons, they don't smell when they die because whatever is in the bars, it dehydrates them. When you find a dead rodent, it will be as flat as a pancake. My husband got this idea from a farmer who was overrun with mice in his barn before he started using the Ramik bars, and now he never sees any mice except for flat, dead ones. (09/22/2008)

By sjackie2000

How to Keep Mice Out?

Rataway works on mice, squirrels, rats, raccoons, dogs, cats, etc. (09/29/2008)

By Rick Suddes

How to Keep Mice Out?

Fabric Softener Sheets help with this. They don't like the strong smell. (10/04/2008)

By Shannon

How to Keep Mice Out?

I store my prize MGB convertible for the winter in unheated out side storage garage. I have used Moth Balls for 5 years, they seem to work well, no evidence of mice so far. I'll continue to use them this winter. (10/13/2008)

By DHU

How to Keep Mice Out?

We just went through months of nightmare with mice also, called the exterminator who covered up all visible holes inside and out of the house, also discovered that there was a space of about 1 inch behind the wall and the floor behind the stove, dishwasher and back of the kitchen counters, which were exactly where these little critters were coming into our house from the basement.

We bought a screen with the smallest holes we could find at Home Depot, pulled stove and dishwasher and placed the screen really well and tight, covered extra holes with steel wool and dropped moth balls in basement and around the outside of the house.

<p.We also have baits everywhere. I tell you, it worked, we haven't seen one since. Try it, it may take a couple of weekends project, but will work if you are determined to look every inch of the house. Place moth balls or peppermint inside your fireplace and though some in the attic too. Good luck. I know what you are going through. (11/11/2008)

By Diana B.

How to Keep Mice Out?

Do not use mothballs. Mothballs contain camphor which is a carcinogen. (I have learned that from several reputable sources). My grandmother had breast cancer and she has used mothballs for all her closets all her life. Horrible smell. If it smells bad it's a good indication that it's probably poisonous for you. (01/28/2009)

By Alexandra

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Pest Control MiceSeptember 20, 2010
Felt Mouse
Making Felt or Fabric Mice
wild mouse
Keeping Mice Out of a Dryer Vent
Mouse in Kitchen
Keeping Mice out of Appliances
mouse peeking out of a hole in a loaf of bread
Getting Rid of Mice Without Killing Them
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 26, 2016 at 6:15:46 PM on 10.0.1.185 in 787 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.