Ziplock Yarn Keeper

contest winner icon

Just recently I bought a yarn holder at Wal-mart that helps keep yarn clean and tangle free. It is a clear plastic jug with a lid that has a hole in the center for the yarn. You place your center pull skein of yarn through the opening and pull working yarn through hole in lid. I thought it would be perfect for knitting on the go until I realized it was much too large to fit in my purse.

My frugal alternative was to take a clean gallon size Ziploc bag and use a hole punch to punch a hole on the bottom center of the bag. I then placed my skein of yarn into the bag, put working yarn end through the hole, then zip locked the bag. This is way cheaper and much smaller then the one I bought.

By Tracey from Duluth, MN

May I suggest that you reinforce the hole in the bag by putting 2 pieces of tape over the hole and then re-punching the hole.

You are very ingenious, and frugal as well! Thanks for the tip and God bless you!

My Grandma taught me this same trick when I was a little girl and she was teaching me how to crochet. What we did was unravel the skein and roll it into a ball first (or you can do it when your skein in half gone) and then use an ice pick to make the hole in the lid of a small or large coffee can. Then the ball just rolls around in the can. Your idea of the bag is good especially if you take your yarnwork on the go with you.

Brilliant idea! Thank you! An old Quaker Oats box worked for me many years ago when they still sold the oats in the round cardboard containers. I still use the coffee can at home but now I will be using zip locks for on-the-go! Thank you again!

I read this tip on the Internet, and discarded it because it was WAY to simple and easy -- but one day in desperation, only because I didn't have a fancy yarn holder, I tried this -- it turned out to be a wonderful idea!! Use a plain brown paper bag from the grocery store to keep your skein of yarn in as you crochet. I turn a couple of inches from the top down, just because it fortifies the bag. The yarn can bounce around and never flop out of the bag, as the bag is high and wide. If you are going to the store with your DH, you can just grab the bag and take it with you. The bag doesn't fall over -- I can't tell you what a great idea this is for your yarn!!!! Karen

A woman holding yarn.
Homemade Yarn Holder Ideas
Crafts KnittingJune 19, 2007
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags, Coins in Zip-Lock Bag
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags
knitting needles
Using Eyelash Yarn
Bag aquarium.
Making a Ziplock Garden or Aquarium
Trellis Yarn Necklace
Making Trellis Yarn Jewelry