Preserving Old Photos

I have a heap of photographs which are over 25 to 30 years old which has recently shown signs of deterioration. How can I stop this process? These photos had been placed in albums. Is there any powder or something else which can be spread on the photos to prevent further deterioration?

The best way to preserve photos, prints or old documents etc is to first make sure they are dry, free of dust and heavy creases and then laminate them using a hot laminator.

Keep all material that has been printed on paper out of direct sunlight, away from heat sources and damp.

The only thing I know about photos is to be sure anything that comes anywhere near the pictures is a special acid free product. That includes paper,plastic etc.

thanks all - I suppose the only thing to do is to scan and preserve them.

once again thanks for your suggestions.

Preserving photographs by halting deterioration isn't as complicated as it might seem. The American Museum of Photography has a great guide on the internet. I've included a link to it below:

I've used these techniques to preserve my old locomotive photos. I trust the techniques with all of my photos and have always had great results.

September 6, 2005 Flag

What is the best way to preserve an old photo, the kind on tin? I have several and would like to scan copies to keep in albums, put on display, as well as scrapbooks for my family. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Preserving Old Photos 02/12/2006
I don't know how to "preserve" them, but I have some from my moms family, and I have been scanning them into my computer and making CD's to at least be able to view them if they someday fade.
By Lee (Guest Post)

Organizing PhotosMay 17, 2006
Uses for Old Cameras, old camera
Uses for Old Cameras
Collard Greens
Preserving Collard Greens
Ring of old keys.
Uses for Old Keys
Preserving Fresh Chives
Preserving Fresh Chives