MenHair Tips

How Can I Lighten Natural Red Hair?

My son has bright red hair and hates it. Is there any way to lighten it?

By Jennifer from OH

How old is your son?

Take him to the local barber/beauty shop and there are a number of professional ways that the hair can be lightened without the whoops happening, as it could at home.

I am a red head. My family tree is full of reds. All different shades. My brother and his boys were carrot red. My middle son was shiny new penny red. In my latter 30's, that was my natural shade. As time goes on, it darkened more to brown. Wait till it sheds all color to grey.

My brother and sons' hair all lightened to strawberry blonde in the summer time as they worked outside, did ball, did not wear hats.

We all hate our hair color at certain times of our lives. It is unusual for a guy to hate it so bad to change it.

It sounds more like he ran into a bully who is calling him RED or something. Guess what? I decidedly wanted to be a different hair color too, due to being called "Hey Red", etc. But as time went on, I met people who would tell me I reminded them of special persons in their lives, it triggered memories amongst my parents in the hospital, the elderly especially told of special sisters, mothers, girl friends, etc with my hair color. Throughout history, envy was strong to hav red hair. Even famous people who's hair was red in their stardom, dyed it red. They stood out, drew attention.

Just a quick note. Shaun White, famous snowboarder and Olympian. Quoted as the sexiest redhead ever, according to Google. And the list goes on, depending on the age category you want to list.

I would worry more about why he has this hate, via a bully? Help him make himself proud of who he is. Tell him good luck from one who stood up to bullies too re: red hair.

Red hair is beautiful but if he must change it he should go to the beauty shop and have it done. If he wants to do it gradually so it won't be noticed he could buy some highlighter and use it but it would be best to let a professional do it. He might end up with something he hates more than red hair and wish he had it back.

Brighten it to what? Strawberry Blonde? I would darken it, maybe a medium brown. No, you do not have to go to a professional. I am a professional and there are some good products out there that will do the trick.

Good luck!

He is 14.

When my sons were about this age, they did all sorts of strange things to their hair, black, green, blue, orange, the wild colors they used to get at skateboard shops. They had light brown hair to start with. Since I had no experience with this, the oldest went to a salon the first time, but after that they just used the products from the drug store or the skateboard shops. My oldest son's first experiment was blue. I thought he would get teased, but instead the other kids loved it!! I would let him try whatever gaudy color he wants with his hair; it might be a nice bonding moment for mom and son if you go with him to the drug store to pick out a shade, and then help him dye it!

I had naturally red hair as a child. as I got older' even 15' it started lightening naturally. However, when I stopped spending so much time in the sun, it got redder. I hated it. tried going to a salon but it costs more than $100.00 a trip. Now I buy a $14.00 highlighter kit at my local drugstore and I put streaks in or just mix it all over in my hair to lighten it all. ask a hair dresser if you like... the color chain goes roughly black, brown, red, then blonde. So if you are a red head like us, the next color you get is blonde when lightening. Works for me.