Cake is Moist in the Middle and Dry Around the Edges - Categories:

BakingFood Tips

Cake is Moist in the Middle and Dry Around the Edges

Why is my cake moist in the middle but dry around the edges?

Karla from Pella, IA

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

When I bake my decorator cakes, I use water soaked wraps by Wilton. They have a reflective surface, and help to even out the temperature by keeping the sides of the pan a little cooler.

Do you have a thermometer in your oven? Your oven may be cooking at a higher temperature than indicated. The average oven is considered accurate even though the temperature can be as much as 20 degrees over or under the indicated temperature.

Yes. It seems that you are baking in too hot of an oven or baking for too long.

Baked too long or too hot.

It is likely cooked at too high a temperature. Or it could be that you are cooking in a pyrex pan, and need to lower the cooking temp by about 25 degrees compared to a metal pan. It could also be cooked for slightly too long a time.

I used to have the same problem until I forgot one day to pre heat the oven. That particular cake turned out perfect! I now never pre heat the oven when cooking cakes, slices, etc...

You are over baking your cake. Take 3 to 5 minutes off the suggested time. See if this helps.

In cake decorating class they told us to cut old towels the height of the cake pan and the distance around them and then when we baked to wet the towel strip and put it around the cake pan (fasten it with safety pins or straight pins) and bake. I always used one twice as high and folded it in half. It not only prevents the edges from drying out before the center is down, but makes the cake more level for icing:)

Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingJanuary 29, 2008
cake baking in the oven
Cake Sinks in the Middle
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
sewing machine
Using Fabric Selvage Edges for Crafts
A whole dried lime.
Drying Limes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 9:06:39 AM on 10.0.0.160 in 954 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.