Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cake is Moist in the Middle and Dry Around the Edges

Why is my cake moist in the middle but dry around the edges?

Karla from Pella, IA

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Harriet Schipper [7]01/30/2008

In cake decorating class they told us to cut old towels the height of the cake pan and the distance around them and then when we baked to wet the towel strip and put it around the cake pan (fasten it with safety pins or straight pins) and bake. I always used one twice as high and folded it in half. It not only prevents the edges from drying out before the center is down, but makes the cake more level for icing:)

By Tina (Guest Post)01/30/2008

You are over baking your cake. Take 3 to 5 minutes off the suggested time. See if this helps.

By Taloola (Guest Post)01/30/2008

I used to have the same problem until I forgot one day to pre heat the oven. That particular cake turned out perfect! I now never pre heat the oven when cooking cakes, slices, etc...

By Louise B. [4]01/30/2008

It is likely cooked at too high a temperature. Or it could be that you are cooking in a pyrex pan, and need to lower the cooking temp by about 25 degrees compared to a metal pan. It could also be cooked for slightly too long a time.

By (Guest Post)01/30/2008

Baked too long or too hot.

By Deb (Guest Post)01/30/2008

Yes. It seems that you are baking in too hot of an oven or baking for too long.

By Stacy Emberson01/29/2008

When I bake my decorator cakes, I use water soaked wraps by Wilton. They have a reflective surface, and help to even out the temperature by keeping the sides of the pan a little cooler.

Do you have a thermometer in your oven? Your oven may be cooking at a higher temperature than indicated. The average oven is considered accurate even though the temperature can be as much as 20 degrees over or under the indicated temperature.