Link: Bookcrossing.com

This is for all the people who love to read. A scrabble buddy of mine told me about it. I haven't actually done this since I have 2 daughters-in-law who share my reading tastes, so I pass my books to them.

There is a site where you can register, then tag your leftover books and then leave them on the bus or in a subway station - anywhere. The person who finds it, most of the time will go to the site and tell where they found it. This is great for travelers who might read a book in one country and leave it to be found in another.

By MartyD from Houston, Tx

April 26, 2011 Flag

I recently clipped an article about 'Passing the Book' where people leave books behind for other people to read. The web site is www.bookcrossing.com. Has anyone ever found one of these books? They are supposed to have BCID labels in them and the books can be tracked on the website. The concept is to turn the whole world into a lending library. Sounds interesting, but who does this?

Vicki from Concordia, MO

Answers:

Article about 'Passing the Book'

I have done this. I have dropped off books on the bus, and in my office waiting room. From there, I have tracked a few of them online and it was pretty cool. So far I have not yet found a book, but am still looking.

Have fun with this. This way someone else can enjoy the same book that you did. (01/07/2008)

By Karyn01

Article about 'Passing the Book'

My oldest daughter and I do this. I first learned about it by finding a book in the ladies room at my Dr.'s office. It's a lot of fun and since we are voracious readers it keeps us from having enormous piles of books in our homes.
(01/08/2008)

By Sharon

Article about 'Passing the Book'

Not that I have seen or heard of the passing book before, but there is another site that tracks money that I am familiar with. It is called "where's George" I have found someone else's "George money" but have never been contacted by anyone who found mine.

http://www.wheresgeorge.com/ (01/08/2008)

By peneilope

Article about 'Passing the Book'

Like Karyn, I have 'passed' a few books, but I have never found any. I live in a very small town, so I guess the odds are slim. I just like the idea that maybe I will encourage someone else to read. (01/08/2008)

By hugmehugs

Article about 'Passing the Book'

I've done this. I love it. I have dropped off lots of books - be careful where you do it though. For example, on a train, it will just get thrown out by the cleaners. I found one book because the person had given clues to make it a bit of a treasure hunt - I really enjoyed tracking it down! (01/08/2008)

By KJP

Article about 'Passing the Book'

We have some great little shops in the downtown area here in my city, and one of those shops sells candles, soaps, incense, teas and coffee, books, etc. But even though they sell books, they also have the free "pass the book" ones too. I'm not sure if they're the same kind as what you mentioned, but I've gotten a few from there--two for me and even a childrens' book for my son. Free novels, etc.--great idea, in my book! (Ha ha! Sorry--I just couldn't help myself)! (01/08/2008)

By evan's"mama"

Article about 'Passing the Book'

I have used www.paperbackswap.com for several years. I am VERY pleased with the service. You post the books you have to trade online. You receive credits for books once you do the posting. Each credit is worth one book. You can request any posted book for FREE. Also, you can make a "wish" list of books that are not currently posted at the site. There are currently millions of books posted by other members so that isnt often a problem. When someone requests a book you've posted, you print out the book wrap and drop it in the mail.

I am very, very pleased with this service. (01/09/2008)

By Carol in PA

Article about 'Passing the Book'

Panera Bakery near me does this. They have a bookshelf. Not all of the books have the PTB labels, but the intent is clear. (01/09/2008)

By Linda

Article about 'Passing the Book'

I have been a member of "Bookcrossing" for several years, every since my cousin-in-law visited and had a Bookcrossing book with him. I checked out the website www.bookcrossing.com and signed in. I have distributed a few books and checked out places to get some in my old residential area (eastern WA) but was never fast enough. I used the .gif files on the website to make my own tags for the books. Only a few have been logged and are trackable (one disappeared for 1.5 years before it was reported from Malaysia of all places!) but it is still fun. At the very least, it is a way to get books out to people that want to read them, especially children's books.

Since we have moved to TN, I have been to busy to look for books or leave any but life is loosening up and I'll have to get back to it. May check out the paperbackswap site, too. One can never have, or give, too many books! (01/09/2008)

By melodybh

Article about 'Passing the Book'

When I found my first book I decided then and there to join Bookcrossings.com. It really is a fabulous way to participate in world wide reading. It's fun to track your own books and see where your find has been. I urge you to join www.bookcrossings.com and become a member so you can have more fun with books. it's a great experience for all. best,
(01/09/2008)

By SATellite

Article about 'Passing the Book'

I didn't know about this bookcrossings website but I have been doing this for years. I travel a lot, at least a couple of times per month and I am often picking up paperbacks at the airport and finish reading them within 1 or 2 flights, then I just leave it somewhere in the airport like a waiting area at a gate and just put a note on it that says "Free To Anyone". If its a book I liked a lot I will write that on the note too, if its a book I didn't like at all I sometimes write that as well. (01/18/2008)

By Sayed_M

Better Living CommunityApril 26, 2011
A vet giving a dog a vaccination.
ASPCA Pet Vaccination Truck Schedule
wisteria on chainlink fence
Dressing up a Chain Link Fence
🎄