Use Copper, Slugs Be Gone!

Having tried everything possible known to man to rid my garden of slugs, I came across an item on ebay that I thought may just work, a roll of sticky back copper tape. It was 2.99 (pounds). It is placed around pots, containers or laid flat on the ground. When the slugs attempts to cross, it they get a tiny electroshock. Great, I thought, now how can I make something similar for free.

I found some old electrical cable from an old kettle. I took out the copper wire, twisted it to make it stronger and attached it to metal skewers which I pushed into the soil at intervals until I had surrounded my flower bed. I made sure the copper wire was not touching any leaves, stones or the soil, but just high enough to zap the slugs should they try to sneak under. It really does work, since then, I have copper wire around my pots and containers too.

The slugs are still out there, thinner and driving themselves nuts trying to get past my thrifty force field.

By Mags from Doncaster, UK

Top Comment

I just put a few pennies around the plants. We are always looking for ways to rid ourselves of them. Works great.

Do you have to plug it in to the power source, if so how and what kind of power source?