Is Vinegar Harmful to Septic Tanks?

Category Septic Tank
There are many household cleaners that are hard on septic tanks. In this guide, discover if vinegar is harmful to septic tanks.

Is apple cider vinegar harmful to septic tanks? My wife just poured an old 32 ounce bottle of Bragg down the sink!

It will not harm the tank. Don't worry.

No, you are safe :)

What a waste of good vinegar! But, for anyone using a septic system it is safe to use white vinegar for all your household cleaning and apple cider vinegar is the same - it will not harm your septic system.

here is an excellent article on this subject:

http://vrock524  eptic-tanks.html

Is using vinegar for cleaning harmful to septic tanks? This is the first time I have lived in a home with a septic tank and I know bacteria live in the tank and I know vinegar kills bacteria.

Celeste from Beaverdam, VA

Best Answer

I don't think that you would put enough vinegar into your septic tank to affect it one way or another. I used to live in a house with a septic tank that had a pump out for liquids into a field, and then the solids were removed once a year. We really didn't pay much attention to what went into the tank, except of course, the usual detergents and soaps, household wastes, wash water, etc.

There is so much water that goes through your system, that anything you run down the drain is very diluted. You don't put anything like gasoline or used motor oil or weed killer or anything like that down the drain.

Best Answer

We also just bought a house with a septic tank and I've never really lived with a septic system before so i started trying to find something safe to use in the toilet cause they had bad stains. Anyway, my aunt in Texas has lived in a house with a septic for like 15 yrs and she actually told me to use 2 pints of vinegar in the toilets, scrub it, let it sit for awhile, scrub again, then flush and she said it's actually better than using any other chemical cleaner and doesn't kill the (good) bacteria.

In each toilet, once a month, put (3) packages of yeast. Flush and you are done. Much cheaper than Rid-X and such.

Never had a problem with the septic tank or using this. I have been doing this for over 30 years now. A plumber told me to do this one time.

I have lived in houses with septic tanks since 1986. I use vinager for cleaning and washing cloths and have never had a problem with my tank.

I Do Not put toilet paper in my septic tank.

I just put it in the trash with a plastic bag/Lid. I use odor-free spray if needed in trash can. :)

Pitch it when neededlI

When my family or company visits, then it goes down into the septic tank. 

Done this for 30+ years. Nobody knows but me, lol. 

I was told to use yeast and/or KETCHUP by the man who cleaned my Septic tank.

what would ketchup do

you are not the only one!!