Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Is Vinegar Harmful to Septic Tanks?

Is using vinegar for cleaning harmful to septic tanks? This is the first time I have lived in a home with a septic tank and I know bacteria live in the tank and I know vinegar kills bacteria.

Celeste from Beaverdam, VA

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Susie [1]10/10/2007

I have lived in houses with septic tanks since 1986. I use vinager for cleaning and washing cloths and have never had a problem with my tank.

By natalie (Guest Post)10/09/2007

We also just bought a house with a septic tank and I've never really lived with a septic system before so i started trying to find something safe to use in the toilet cause they had bad stains. Anyway, my aunt in Texas has lived in a house with a septic for like 15 yrs and she actually told me to use 2 pints of vinegar in the toilets, scrub it, let it sit for awhile, scrub again, then flush and she said it's actually better than using any other chemical cleaner and doesn't kill the (good) bacteria.

By rda (Guest Post)10/06/2007

In each toilet, once a month, put (3) packages of yeast. Flush and you are done. Much cheaper than Rid-X and such.
Never had a problem with the septic tank or using this. I have been doing this for over 30 years now. A plumber told me to do this one time.

By Louise B. [4]10/05/2007

I don't think that you would put enough vinegar into your septic tank to affect it one way or another. I used to live in a house with a septic tank that had a pump out for liquids into a field, and then the solids were removed once a year. We really didn't pay much attention to what went into the tank, except of course, the usual detergents and soaps, household wastes, wash water, etc. There is so much water that goes through your system, that anything you run down the drain is very diluted. You don't put anything like gasoline or used motor oil or weed killer or anything like that down the drain.

Louise, Nipawin, Canada