Browsing: Rid-Ex Alternatives for Your Septic Tank

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Rid-Ex Alternatives for Your Septic Tank

There may be a way to save money on the maintenance of your septic system. This guide contains Rid-Ex alternatives for your septic tank.

Rid-Ex Alternative
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 22, 2004 Flag

Instead of using Rid-ex for a monthly solution for a septic tank - use baking soda and yeast and flush down the toilet.

By Natalie B.

June 10, 2008 Flag

What is an alternative for Ridx for a septic tank?

Doris from Moore, SC

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If u use the yeast idea, which works very well, try adding some brown sugar(2-3 tbsp) with the yeast as it will "feed" the yeast and start it working.

I have also heard that buttermilk is is good for the septic system. I use the last of a carton or when it starts to get old it goes into the sink. Food scraps go into the compost pile instead of the garbage disposal. We do not put toilet paper in the toilets. Into a trash can just for that purpose. Then it is burned in the burn barrel. Try to use more natural cleaning supplies like vinegar and baking soda. Commercial chemicals are hard on the septic tanks.

I make up a septic tank cocktail using yeast and sugar dissolved in warm water. I think it helps to get it started before flushing. I don't know if it would multiply as well down there if I just flushed it dry.

I also was told NOT to use Rid-X by the man who pumped our tank. He says lots of times it doesn't dissolve and you end up with a big chunk of it at the bottom doing nothing. Of course, that could be our northern climate. He also said to limit anti-bacterial cleaners as they will kill the good bacteria too. And to use liquid soaps when possible.

Read More Answers...
Home and Garden Home Improvement Septic TankFebruary 18, 2013
Septic Safe Cleaners
Septic Safe Cleaners
clogged toilet
Unclogging a Drain or Toilet Attached to a Septic System
Planting Near Septic System
Planting Trees and Shrubs Near a Septic System
Safe Toilet Paper for Septic Tanks
Toilet Paper Advice for Septic Tanks
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 7:32:03 PM on 10.0.2.7 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.