Rid-Ex Alternatives for Your Septic Tank

There may be a way to save money on the maintenance of your septic system. This guide contains Rid-Ex alternatives for your septic tank.

April 22, 2004 Flag

Instead of using Rid-ex for a monthly solution for a septic tank - use baking soda and yeast and flush down the toilet.

By Natalie B.

my wife says bake a cake put it in septic

How many packets of yeast vs. tablespoons of baking soda??? Help!

ok so i am a new home homeowner. I used a gallon of buttermilk in my tank. how does this work exactly? i used spoiled buttermilk and the chunks it had. how can that be useful? i am confused in th is matter and all around. think i am stupid for asking. so can someone please help me understand? ty

I use my local store brands liquid septic treatment.

Unlike the powder, it won't make a huge cake that

could back up the system.

The best bet is prevention though, do not use bleach

fabric softner,most drain cleaners.Make sure your

detergent is a bio degradable brand as well. some

common household cleaners will kill the bacteria which

is necessary to keep a septic tank flowing freely. I've

had mine for 15 years and I've never had mine

pumped once.

The best thing to use in your septic tank is Roebic K-37. I have been using this products for years. Check out their web site to find it near you. www.roebic.com

How much and what type of brewers yeast should I use?

My Farmer told me to get the 4inch by 4inch cube of yeast from Costco/Sam's Club $2.50 and put it in toilet furthest away from septic tank and put 1/2 the cube in that toilet & flush twice, then put other half in other toilet bowl & flush once. Do this every other month even in wintertime .That's the treatment for my 1500 gallon septic. I get it pumped out every 5 years. Have been doing this for 20 years..Ridex has gotten too big for its britches' it costs 20.00 now for 6 doses of the liquid enzymes. Don't see where it works any better then what I am doing.

Just had my aerobic system 1500 gal tank pumped today. My technician (very turst-worthy) also suggested to pour 1 gal buttermilk in - 1/time mo. He also said that Rid-X wouldn't suffice for the "bigger bugs".

The septic take was fine, but after I flushed the yeast it backed up, coincidence?

I have heard that the yeast is not the best solution and has that caking up problem. I found a product called Flush-it and have been using it for a while. Works great! There is a ton of information on their site including a comparison to Rid-Ex and other competitors.

June 10, 2008 Flag

What is an alternative for Ridx for a septic tank?

Doris from Moore, SC

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Last time ours was pumped out, the guy told us to flush a carton of cottage cheese. He said that would get everything started back up. I have a friend that swears by using yeast (baking yeast) -- she buys the pound bag at Sam's and flushes 1/4 cup once every month or so.

We've lived with septic systems for years and never had any problems. Just watch how much bleach we use (not too much at any time) and moderate the amount of stuff we put in our sink garbage disposal.

We, too, use baking yeast. We don't use it every month & not as much as the other person said. We just use one packet of a 3 package strip the major brands sell it by in grocery stores, every 2-3 months. We've never had any problems. This is more cost effective for us. The last time we priced the Rid-X, it was $7.99 a box, verses $1.25 for a 3 strip of yeast.

If u use the yeast idea, which works very well, try adding some brown sugar(2-3 tbsp) with the yeast as it will "feed" the yeast and start it working.

I have also heard that buttermilk is is good for the septic system. I use the last of a carton or when it starts to get old it goes into the sink. Food scraps go into the compost pile instead of the garbage disposal. We do not put toilet paper in the toilets. Into a trash can just for that purpose. Then it is burned in the burn barrel. Try to use more natural cleaning supplies like vinegar and baking soda. Commercial chemicals are hard on the septic tanks.

I make up a septic tank cocktail using yeast and sugar dissolved in warm water. I think it helps to get it started before flushing. I don't know if it would multiply as well down there if I just flushed it dry.

I also was told NOT to use Rid-X by the man who pumped our tank. He says lots of times it doesn't dissolve and you end up with a big chunk of it at the bottom doing nothing. Of course, that could be our northern climate. He also said to limit anti-bacterial cleaners as they will kill the good bacteria too. And to use liquid soaps when possible.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Septic TankFebruary 18, 2013
Septic Safe Cleaners
Septic Safe Cleaners
clogged toilet
Unclogging a Drain or Toilet Attached to a Septic System
Planting Near Septic System
Planting Trees and Shrubs Near a Septic System
Safe Toilet Paper for Septic Tanks
Toilet Paper Advice for Septic Tanks
🎉
🎄