Hand Sewing Tip - Wax Thread to Stop Knotting

To stop getting knots in the thread when you are hand sewing, pass the thread through beeswax. You can purchase a beeswax notion at fabric stores. This just works wonders! There will be no wax residue left behind.

By Janette from Parkersburg, WV

That's a great idea! I'm going to have to try that. :-D

I use the wax, and also my Mom showed me years ago that it matters which end of the thread you put the needle on. Stroke downward lightly between thumb and forefinger, and you will feel the difference, because of the twist of the thread's filaments. Try from one end and then from the other. You'll find that the end that came first off the spool is the end to use!

I buy a pound of beeswax and it last forever.

Zig

Sometimes the crafts and fabric stores will have this handy little notion on sale, I usually buy several at a time so I have a stock of them.

But I have been 'caught without' whilst travelling and have found using a candle works almost as well! I taught this tip to my son who can never find the beeswax I give him, lol!

He sews on his own buttons, hems his own trousers, etc, and finds grabbing a candle easier than hunting up the beeswax. (Even though I made him up a sewing kit with a plastic shoe box to keep everything in) He has come to enjoy sewing so much that last year during my visit to the US I bought him a mini-sewing machine. He used it a few weeks ago to make curtains for his roommate's bedroom-from bedsheets he bought at the Goodwill:) I taught him well!