How Do You Know When a Turkey Is Defrosted?

By ray 1

How do I know when a turkey is not frozen still in the middle?

By Ray from TX

Filter Sort

By Linda Stewart 4 8 Flag

The giblets of the turkey are inside the turkey. Put your hand inside the turkey to remove the giblets and you should be able to tell if it is defrosted.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Rob 1 Flag

Look up the correct defrosting time online for the weight of the bird, then leave it for an extra few hours. Then roll up your sleeves, stick your hand inside the cavity and have a feel, it'll be firm because you'll be feeling the ribcage, but it shouldn't feel really cold.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Cricket 205 895 Flag

Stick your hand in there! If it's still frozen you'll know!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: How Do You Know When a Turkey Is Defrosted?

This is my first attempt at baking a turkey. Silly question here. How does one know when the bird is defrosted?

Thanks!
~Wendola~ from Highland, MI

Feedback:

RE: How Do You Know When a Turkey Is Defrosted?

Stick your hand in it. I know, it sounds gross, but if you stick your hand inside the body cavity and feel for cold. (11/22/2006)

Make sure that you have removed the neck (usually in the body cavity and the giblets (in the smaller cavity at the other end.) These will keep the turkey from defrosting quickly. It will need to be a certain amount defrosted to get these out. (It's a rooky move to bake the turkey without taking these out. It happens so make sure you take them out.)

I usually put the turkey into cold water in a clean sink until I can remove them. Like the others say, the turkey will feel soft and movable when it is totally thawed. If it is still hard, you might want to keep it in the sink until it is defrosted. The cold water will keep bacteria from growing. Make sure you use "cold" water. Once it is defrosted, dry it and put it back in the fridge until you want to start baking it.

It does take a while for a turkey to defrost so make sure it is already defrosting.

Susan from ThriftyFun (11/22/2006)

By ThriftyFun

I always defrost my turkey in a cooler full of cold water. I leave the cooler in the bathtub so that we can easily change the water. I put my 22 lb turkey in last night. DH changed the water tonight. Tomorrow around noon it should be defrosted for cooking. If I cannot get the neck and giblets out of the cavity I'll know it's not defrosted. Good luck! (11/22/2006)

By Tricia

Thawed Turkey
Thawing a Turkey
Holidays and Parties Thanksgiving Turkey TipsNovember 23, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
Thawed Turkey
Thawing a Turkey
A cooked turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in a Slow Cooker (Crockpot)
Carving a Turkey
Using Your Turkey Bones for Soup
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 14, 2016 at 1:30:46 AM on 10.0.0.209 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

AnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings