Share Crafts

Storing Clothes in a Damp Basement

How do I keep clothes dry in damp basement? I want to pack them away, but am not sure how to keep out mold and mildew smells and dampness. Every time I pull something out it smells and feels damp, or it's plain moldy, especially leather.

By pattygene from Alton, IL

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

You could try Space Bags. The company says they are airtight and waterproof as well as reusable.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Janet 11 717 06/30/2009

A large plastic container with a good cover on it should work.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Barbara Petty 15 106 06/30/2009

Have you tried using those storage bags that you remove the air with a vacuum cleaner? I believe they are called Space Bags. You can pack lots of clothes, blankets, winter coats and such in these bags, remove the air, and they get flat as a pancake! So you can store many many items, in a small space. These bags are waterproof too. If you placed a dryer sheet in each bag, the clothes would smell nice.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By CYNTHIA HELMICK 7 07/01/2009

Space bags are perfect just make sure your garments are ironed and completely dry and use a used dryer sheet (but not over done) especially when storing in a damp basement and in a spacebag.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Lilac 20 1,331 05/22/2011

Unless you use spacebags I wouldn't do it. Personally I wouldn't do it anyway. If you get spacebags you might be able to find room upstairs.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No