Storing Clothes in a Damp Basement

How do I keep clothes dry in damp basement? I want to pack them away, but am not sure how to keep out mold and mildew smells and dampness. Every time I pull something out it smells and feels damp, or it's plain moldy, especially leather.

By pattygene from Alton, IL

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

You could try Space Bags. The company says they are airtight and waterproof as well as reusable.

A large plastic container with a good cover on it should work.

Have you tried using those storage bags that you remove the air with a vacuum cleaner? I believe they are called Space Bags. You can pack lots of clothes, blankets, winter coats and such in these bags, remove the air, and they get flat as a pancake! So you can store many many items, in a small space. These bags are waterproof too. If you placed a dryer sheet in each bag, the clothes would smell nice.

Space bags are perfect just make sure your garments are ironed and completely dry and use a used dryer sheet (but not over done) especially when storing in a damp basement and in a spacebag.

Unless you use spacebags I wouldn't do it. Personally I wouldn't do it anyway. If you get spacebags you might be able to find room upstairs.

Answer

Organizing ClothingJune 28, 2009
Organized Basement
Organizing and Cleaning the Basement
Finishing a Basement
Finishing a Basement
Bucket catching leak.
Cleaning Up a Water Leak in Basement
Man Remodeling a Basement
Remodeling a Basement
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 27, 2016 at 3:14:29 AM on 10.0.1.67 in 402 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.