Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Storing Clothes in a Damp Basement

How do I keep clothes dry in damp basement? I want to pack them away, but am not sure how to keep out mold and mildew smells and dampness. Every time I pull something out it smells and feels damp, or it's plain moldy, especially leather.

By pattygene from Alton, IL

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Lilac [18]05/22/2011

Unless you use spacebags I wouldn't do it. Personally I wouldn't do it anyway. If you get spacebags you might be able to find room upstairs.

By CYNTHIA HELMICK07/01/2009

Space bags are perfect just make sure your garments are ironed and completely dry and use a used dryer sheet (but not over done) especially when storing in a damp basement and in a spacebag.

By Barbara Petty [13]06/30/2009

Have you tried using those storage bags that you remove the air with a vacuum cleaner? I believe they are called Space Bags. You can pack lots of clothes, blankets, winter coats and such in these bags, remove the air, and they get flat as a pancake! So you can store many many items, in a small space. These bags are waterproof too. If you placed a dryer sheet in each bag, the clothes would smell nice.

By Janet [7]06/30/2009

A large plastic container with a good cover on it should work.

06/29/2009

You could try Space Bags. The company says they are airtight and waterproof as well as reusable.