Toilet Not Flushing Properly

My toilet does not fill back with water when I hold down the lever for a few seconds, but it flushes fine when I do a quick flush. What can cause that? I also hear a thump in the wall when I flush sometimes.

By 1 MC3 from Richmond, VA

Anonymous

The thump you are hearing in the wall is called water hammer. This article might help you out.

http://home.how  o-fix-pipes5.htm

And this might help with the toilet flushing thing.

http://www.askm  usher-36262.html

My downstairs toilet has been giving me a problem for about a month now. I always have to flush twice to get rid of the urine color. The 1st flush, the water swirls, but goes down slowly like the toilet is clogged. The 2nd time the water goes down nicely. It is like this every time. What is wrong with it?

By Andrew S

Your drain pipe under the house is either clogged up or it not high enough to drain all the water down. I had this problem and the contractor had to jack up the pipe the make it drain all the way to the street. Get it checked from a plumber or contractor.

My husband is a plumber, so I will tell you what I know. If it bubbles or burps a big bubble, then you probably have a clog. Is it backing up when you flush and does the water go out slowly? If not then you might need to change the flapper inside of the toilet tank. You also might need to adjust the chain on the flapper that covers the hole where the water leaves the tank. It could be keeping it from working properly.

Try this: do not flush toilet paper down the toilet for a few days and see if there is any change. Some toilet paper does not designate as quickly as others and will clog faster than others. Also if it is a low flow tank, that is sometimes a culprit. You didn't say if you were on city or county sewer line or have a septic tank, these all factor in.

Whenever our toilet acts like it's clogged, I squirt some dishwashing detergent into it, wait at least 15 minutes, and then flush. It clears it every time. Good luck!