Hanging Towels

The idea of using a hanging towel in the kitchen is a great one; I saw it in the latest article. This is an old idea and the crocheted topped towels are all the rage; a comeback from awhile ago. I am making a batch of kitchen towels for Christmas gifts; here is how easy it is to create these.

Buy a package of 5 or so small kitchen towels in bulk. For each towel you make, fold each one in half and iron it so you have a good crease in the middle. Now sew with gather stitches over that middle crease. Gather the towel to your liking.

The next step is your choice. You can use a cheap hot pad, wide ribbon, a wash cloth, or other ideas? Any of these can be sewed, also down the middle of each, to the original towel you gathered, right sides together of course.

When you use wide ribbon you can zig zag stitch with a wider stitch. Using the wide ribbon you would just tie a nice bow with the excess and use that as the hanger to hang the towel on your stove or cupboard knob.

If you use a hot pad you can arrange the hot pad diagonally and use the little hoop that's already on the hot pad as the hanger.

With these simple ideas and your own, as a novice seamstress, you can create a hanging towel with ease and very little money. I enjoy doing embroidery stitches to decorate the towel even more, especially if this is a gift for a friend.

By Karen from Davis, CA

Hi Karen,

I sent in an idea like this awhile back. I went to the Dollar Store and purchased the matching pot holder and oven mits. For less than five dollars it made a great gift. I use them in my own home all the time!

My sweet daughter-in-law made a couple of these for us a few years ago. We love to have them hanging on the oven handle. One word of caution is that the towels were blue/white striped and the potholders were dark blue. After several washings using bleach to keep the towels white, the potholders fade. Does anyone have any suggestions for this? I like the idea of using ribbon with the wide variety of colors they have. Thanks for your various ways of making these.

Crafts SewingSeptember 15, 2009
Family Working on Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Hanging Curtains With Pleat Hooks
Hanging Curtains
Stack of Colored Towels
Saving Money on Towels
Stack of colorful towels.
Making Bath Towels More Absorbent