Ceiling Tiles for Quilt Staging Wall

When organizing my sewing room I decided to make a staging wall for my quilting projects. Take left over or used ceiling tile and attach to wall. Use straight pins or tacks to attach material. You can paint these tiles to add color. I painted mine like a quilt square, or just leave white.

Source: I saw individual ceiling tiles used as bulletin board at a craft show and just thought using 3-4 tiles together would be economical and simple.

By Sewinggirl from Westernport, MD

I strongly suggest you paint the tile thoroughly to seal it. Many ceiling tiles contain fibers that can cause skin irritations (the voice of experience). If you will be using your quilting project next to the skin, you want to be sure there's no irritants on it.

Cork tiles would be good but the only kind of ceiling tile I've seen are polystyrene which are a fire hazard.

There is a store in Valley City, ND, called "The Quilted Ceiling." When they opened up the business they had people decorate the ceiling tiles to look like quilt blocks similar to what you were talking about with your wall.

Look the store's web page up on the web.

http://www.quiltedceiling.com/

I used a large, old-fashioned storm window (without the glass) and velcro-ed Felt onto it. I used "D" rings and picture wire to mount it on the wall. If I need to move it I just lift it off the wall-mount hook. If the felt gets dirty I pull it off the velcro and throw it in the washer.

The felt allows smaller fabric pieces to stick up, but pins can be used for larger pieces.