Toilet Tank Not Filling

My toilet isn't filling back up in the tank. No water is coming in. What can I do to clean out calcification, if that's the problem (in the intake hose)? I have had this problem with other plumbing in my house.

By Melissa from Summerfield, FL

Answers

Things may look fine, but that doesn't mean they are. Have you checked the seal of the flapper? If it's not suctioned tight, water will escape and the tank will never fill. As long as water is being piped into the tank, the flapper is the most likely culprit. If no water at all is entering the tank, then it is a problem with the water line or valve. Check the valve again - is it 100% closed or 100% open? Check for leaks. If you can't find anything after this inspection, watch the videos at the second link below. If you still can't figure out what's wrong after all that, then it's best to just call in a plumber.

http://www.hometips.com/how-it-works/toi how a flush toilet works, including diagrams

http://www.ehow.com/video_4419407_diagno videos on how to diagnose toilet problems. The first video deals with a tank which won't stay filled. There are other videos to choose which can help you out. Good luck.

When you say valve, are you referring to the water line on the wall or a connection to the toilet directly? I just installed a bidet and now a day later my toilet tank won't fill at all. The bidet is still working and it's the same water line. So I know absolutely the water is on but I'm more concerned I might have over tightened the connection at the bottom of the toilet tank. Could that cause a problem with filling?

Best Answer

Some water safe supply lines will seal themselves off if shocked...This is to prevent a flood if there's a quake...BUT, if you turn the valve handle too quickly, this can often "shock" the protection mechanism into activating improperly...Usually, when this happens, you'll hear the water start to rush in through the supply line and into the tank, then a BANG! and the water will stop flowing into the tank..

Usual solution is to turn off the supply valve at the wall, then disconnect the supply line from the valve, then reconnect it...Then SLOWLY turn the supply valve handle to open the valve....

Believe these supply lines will have an extra sticker on them when new that references something like "flood safe" or similar statements...

Obviously these are more common at stores in quake-prone areas...

Best Answer

ALSO-If you go to turn the water supply valve on and the valve and pipe in the wall start vibrating loudly, that means there is air in the line...One time this happened to me and the noise was like a JACKHAMMER in the house...I'm not exaggerating! I heard it from the garage even though it was in the very back bathroom....This is known as "water hammer" and it also happens with my sprinkler system, whenever the watering cycle ends...

SO don't be concerned if it happens, just turn the valve back towards off a little bit to slow the flow down and it should clear itself...You should see air bubbles in the water in the tank if this is happening as well...

Toilet Tank
Toilet Tank Not Filling
Home and Garden Home Improvement PlumbingMarch 23, 2010
lace tank topper
Making Toilet Tank/Lid Covers
White toilet.
Toilet Tank Wobbles
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet
Saving Money on Toilet Paper
Saving Money on Toilet Paper
🎄