Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Uses for Potato Water

What is the function of potato water?

By sudha saraf

By Judy04/09/2010

I always use the potato water for gravy when cooking roast etc. If there is too much, freeze and save until there is enough for making soup.

By Candy Killion [8]04/07/2010

Potato water is also great for making potato bread at home; a lot of recipes for it call for either it or plain water if none's available. Using the reserved potato water makes a big difference in both taste and texture of "hands on" or bread machine recipes.

If there's a lag between when you have potato water and when you plan to bake, just freeze portions of it until you're ready.

By Anonymous [848]04/06/2010

There are several awesome tips listed in the ThriftyFun archives below :-)

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Uses for Potato Water

Just cooked potatoes? Don't throw the water down the drain. Here are some tips and ideas for reusing it. Post your ideas.

Using Potato Water

After boiling potatoes, set aside the water to cool. After it is cool, use it to water your houseplants. They love it.

By angel (01/12/2005)

By ThriftyFun

RE: Uses for Potato Water

Use it when you're making gravy, it is already hot and full of nutrients. Add a little flour to some cold water, mix thoroughly, add some potato water and the drippings from the roaster. For more flavor add a little coffee. Microwave to thicken. Enjoy. (01/12/2005)

By valleyrimgirl

RE: Uses for Potato Water

Pour it over your dog's dry food. Let it soak in and they love it, they think they're getting a real treat and you are adding extra quality to their food. Or save it and use it in soup the next day. (01/12/2005)

By Barbie

RE: Uses for Potato Water

By all means use the cooking water for your houseplants, but make certain you don't use salt in the cooking water, or you may not have plants to water anymore! :) (01/13/2005)

By Christy

RE: Uses for Potato Water

Room temperature potato water should be used when making bread dough. Potato water contains gluten which helps the bread rise. (01/13/2005)

By Barbaral

RE: Uses for Potato Water

Remove tarnish from stored silverware by soaking in potato water. (01/23/2005)

By RubyJean

RE: Uses for Potato Water

I stir a little milk powder into it and add it to my mashed potatoes to make them creamier. There are a lot of nutrients in the potato water. (01/23/2005)

By Harlean from Arkansas

RE: Uses for Potato Water

Use in your compost, when transplanting trees, bushes, etc. Fill the holes with potato water, use in all gardening work. It is very good for your plants.

Also, you can use your leftover coffee grounds, egg shells, paper egg cartons, etc.

Enjoy! (02/16/2005)

By Laura

RE: Uses for Potato Water

What about drinking it? I put mine in a pint glass and drink it with my meal. Am I silly? (10/28/2007)

By Peadar

RE: Uses for Potato Water

We add it to some flour, eggs, a few other things, and make Yorkshire pudding out of it. Yum! :) (07/07/2008)

By Channity Chan

RE: Uses for Potato Water

I agree with Peadar, potato water is great as a hot drink. I add a touch of cayenne and adjust the seasoning. Even better is veggie stock done the same way. Almost 0 calories and so tasty without any chemical additives. (11/21/2008)

By augie1111

RE: Uses for Potato Water

Three words. Moravian Sugar Cake. Yum! (01/22/2009)

By Myrrhlynn