Uses for Potato Water

What is the function of potato water?

By sudha saraf

There are several awesome tips listed in the ThriftyFun archives below :-)

Potato water is also great for making potato bread at home; a lot of recipes for it call for either it or plain water if none's available. Using the reserved potato water makes a big difference in both taste and texture of "hands on" or bread machine recipes.

If there's a lag between when you have potato water and when you plan to bake, just freeze portions of it until you're ready.

I always use the potato water for gravy when cooking roast etc. If there is too much, freeze and save until there is enough for making soup.

I also like to drink hot potato water especially if I'm having digestive issues. My fave seasoning is celery salt and black pepper. A sprinkle of powdered bouillon is a nice touch too, even a little milk and a dab of butter! I only do this with peeled potatoes. I don't want to consume the fertilizers and pesticides on the skin.

April 6, 2010 Flag

Just cooked potatoes? Don't throw the water down the drain. Here are some tips and ideas for reusing it. Post your ideas.

Answers:

Using Potato Water

After boiling potatoes, set aside the water to cool. After it is cool, use it to water your houseplants. They love it.

By angel (01/12/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Uses for Potato Water

Use it when you're making gravy, it is already hot and full of nutrients. Add a little flour to some cold water, mix thoroughly, add some potato water and the drippings from the roaster. For more flavor add a little coffee. Microwave to thicken. Enjoy. (01/12/2005)

By valleyrimgirl

Uses for Potato Water

Pour it over your dog's dry food. Let it soak in and they love it, they think they're getting a real treat and you are adding extra quality to their food. Or save it and use it in soup the next day. (01/12/2005)

By Barbie

Uses for Potato Water

By all means use the cooking water for your houseplants, but make certain you don't use salt in the cooking water, or you may not have plants to water anymore! :) (01/13/2005)

By Christy

Uses for Potato Water

Room temperature potato water should be used when making bread dough. Potato water contains gluten which helps the bread rise. (01/13/2005)

By Barbaral

Uses for Potato Water

Remove tarnish from stored silverware by soaking in potato water. (01/23/2005)

By RubyJean

Uses for Potato Water

I stir a little milk powder into it and add it to my mashed potatoes to make them creamier. There are a lot of nutrients in the potato water. (01/23/2005)

By Harlean from Arkansas

Uses for Potato Water

Use in your compost, when transplanting trees, bushes, etc. Fill the holes with potato water, use in all gardening work. It is very good for your plants.

Also, you can use your leftover coffee grounds, egg shells, paper egg cartons, etc.

Enjoy! (02/16/2005)

By Laura

Uses for Potato Water

What about drinking it? I put mine in a pint glass and drink it with my meal. Am I silly? (10/28/2007)

By Peadar

Uses for Potato Water

We add it to some flour, eggs, a few other things, and make Yorkshire pudding out of it. Yum! :) (07/07/2008)

By Channity Chan

Uses for Potato Water

I agree with Peadar, potato water is great as a hot drink. I add a touch of cayenne and adjust the seasoning. Even better is veggie stock done the same way. Almost 0 calories and so tasty without any chemical additives. (11/21/2008)

By augie1111

Uses for Potato Water

Three words. Moravian Sugar Cake. Yum! (01/22/2009)

By Myrrhlynn

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
A pile of potatoes freshly dug up.
Cooking With Potatoes
Sweet Potato Chips
Sweet Potato Chip Recipes
A bowl of potato chips.
Recipes Using Potato Chips
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 18, 2017 at 12:08:39 AM on 10.0.1.90 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.