Uses for Potato Water

By sudha saraf 1

What is the function of potato water?

By sudha saraf

Filter Sort

thr522587 Flag

There are several awesome tips listed in the ThriftyFun archives below :-)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Candy Killion 10 410 Flag

Potato water is also great for making potato bread at home; a lot of recipes for it call for either it or plain water if none's available. Using the reserved potato water makes a big difference in both taste and texture of "hands on" or bread machine recipes.

If there's a lag between when you have potato water and when you plan to bake, just freeze portions of it until you're ready.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Judy 12 Flag

I always use the potato water for gravy when cooking roast etc. If there is too much, freeze and save until there is enough for making soup.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By chieko 1 Flag

I also like to drink hot potato water especially if I'm having digestive issues. My fave seasoning is celery salt and black pepper. A sprinkle of powdered bouillon is a nice touch too, even a little milk and a dab of butter! I only do this with peeled potatoes. I don't want to consume the fertilizers and pesticides on the skin.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: Uses for Potato Water

Just cooked potatoes? Don't throw the water down the drain. Here are some tips and ideas for reusing it. Post your ideas.

Feedback:

Using Potato Water

After boiling potatoes, set aside the water to cool. After it is cool, use it to water your houseplants. They love it.

By angel (01/12/2005)

By ThriftyFun

RE: Uses for Potato Water

Use it when you're making gravy, it is already hot and full of nutrients. Add a little flour to some cold water, mix thoroughly, add some potato water and the drippings from the roaster. For more flavor add a little coffee. Microwave to thicken. Enjoy. (01/12/2005)

By valleyrimgirl

RE: Uses for Potato Water

Pour it over your dog's dry food. Let it soak in and they love it, they think they're getting a real treat and you are adding extra quality to their food. Or save it and use it in soup the next day. (01/12/2005)

By Barbie

RE: Uses for Potato Water

By all means use the cooking water for your houseplants, but make certain you don't use salt in the cooking water, or you may not have plants to water anymore! :) (01/13/2005)

By Christy

RE: Uses for Potato Water

Room temperature potato water should be used when making bread dough. Potato water contains gluten which helps the bread rise. (01/13/2005)

By Barbaral

RE: Uses for Potato Water

Remove tarnish from stored silverware by soaking in potato water. (01/23/2005)

By RubyJean

RE: Uses for Potato Water

I stir a little milk powder into it and add it to my mashed potatoes to make them creamier. There are a lot of nutrients in the potato water. (01/23/2005)

By Harlean from Arkansas

RE: Uses for Potato Water

Use in your compost, when transplanting trees, bushes, etc. Fill the holes with potato water, use in all gardening work. It is very good for your plants.

Also, you can use your leftover coffee grounds, egg shells, paper egg cartons, etc.

Enjoy! (02/16/2005)

By Laura

RE: Uses for Potato Water

What about drinking it? I put mine in a pint glass and drink it with my meal. Am I silly? (10/28/2007)

By Peadar

RE: Uses for Potato Water

We add it to some flour, eggs, a few other things, and make Yorkshire pudding out of it. Yum! :) (07/07/2008)

By Channity Chan

RE: Uses for Potato Water

I agree with Peadar, potato water is great as a hot drink. I add a touch of cayenne and adjust the seasoning. Even better is veggie stock done the same way. Almost 0 calories and so tasty without any chemical additives. (11/21/2008)

By augie1111

RE: Uses for Potato Water

Three words. Moravian Sugar Cake. Yum! (01/22/2009)

By Myrrhlynn

A pile of potatoes freshly dug up.
Cooking With Potatoes
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Sweet Potato Chips
Sweet Potato Chip Recipes
A pile of potatoes freshly dug up.
Cooking With Potatoes
A bowl of potato chips.
Recipes Using Potato Chips
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 7:59:29 AM on 10.0.1.161 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

AnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings