Doubling a Baking Recipe

I have a recipe for a loaf cake, using raisins, brown sugar, etc. It gives the ingredients for 1 loaf, I want to make 2 loaves but I am not sure if it would come out right if I doubled everything in the recipe. I have done this when making soup, etc, but never when baking. Has anyone ever doubled the recipe when making 2 cakes, or is it better to just make one cake, and start all over and bake the second cake?

Thanks for any replies,
P.J. from Delaware

You can double any cake or bread recipe....not bread, bread....but like pumpkin, zucchini banana, etc. I always make a double recipe and usually freeze one loaf for later....no need to make one and then start again....Cheers....

I have to disagree with Carol. Some cake recipes cannot be doubled. I found out this the hard way.

All you can do is try it and if it doesn't work, you will know for sure. Lots of cake recipes can be doubled, especiall the bread ones, but not all of them.

I do make a double batch all the time with my "from scratch" chocolate cake but your bowl has to be large enough to mix it all together. I then bake the cake and make cupcakes out of the other one, or make a 3 layer and the rest cupcakes.

Eletha

the rule of thumb is you can double baking recipes but not candy recipes. another thing to remember is if a recipe is doubled too many times, you may need to cut down spices or they can become too strong. but not to worry, for just doubling once, you will be fine.

brenda-ohio

It usually says in the recipe if you cannot double it

I double yeast bread recipes as well, as long as my container is big enough.

Doubling is a great idea because it costs the same to bake one loaf in your oven as it does to bake two!

I'd suggest you not bake it in a doubly large container. The outside will become burnt before the inside will be done.

I had a bad result when doubling a loaf cake recipe. My daughter said that if a recipe has both baking powder and baking soda...do not double...I was really bad...really bad texture and taste.

Stanlie STeamer

When I am not sure if I can double a recipe or not I just set out two mixing bowls of the same size and measure the ingredients at the same time into each bowl. Still cuts down on alot of the extra work and eliminates the guess work of whether or not you have exactly half the batter in each baking pan.

Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingMarch 3, 2006
Muffin with a bite out of it.
Muffins Taste Like Baking Soda
Baking Ingredients
Substitution for Cream of Tartar When Baking
Substitution for Baking Powder
Substitution for Baking Powder
Baking Soda
Freezing Baking Soda and Baking Powder
🎄