Setting Up a PayPal Account

I am wanting to set up a Paypal account and don't feel like it is good to use the charge card I use now for that. I'm afraid it's not safe. I'm not sure a prepaid card is the way to go; do you need one for Paypal?

By Jill from Steedman, MO

You have to have a card to set up a account. I have had my account hacked into twice. It was always someone from overseas. I don't know how they got my number but both paypal and my bank helped me with the process. The last one they tried to get a western union money transfer for $1000. If I decide to sell items again I will probably get a prepaid card just so it won't be connected to our personal accounts. One note anytime paypal sends you a email they do not EVER ask for your personal information. That is one way that hackers get the info they need. Paypal would ask for it if you were in a purchase transaction etc.

I would like to clarify what nightrain71 was saying. If you ever get an email from Paypal that is not just letting you know that a transaction you initiated was completed don't use any links provided. When in doubt open another browser window and go to Paypal yourself and see if that email is one of the messages on your account. If it is NOT and you have any doubt the email is not legit forward the email to spoof@paypal.com and it will be delt with. If it really was from them they will let you know. If it was not they have safeguards in place to trap these scam artists.

I have had Paypal for almost 15 years now. I have never received an email from them that was not a reaction to a transfer I initiated. All other emails have been scams. Even emails that just ask you to login via a provided link to verify your account are scams if they are not the initial email sent to you when setting up your account. The only other email I have seen from Paypal is initially when I set up my account and had it verified to my checking account. They made two deposits to my account of 1 cent each. That is it, anything else forward to them. It is even recommended that you make your paypal account password unique from all other passwords you use or have used in the past. And never give your paypal info to anyone.

Greetings, you may want to get another credit card that has a very small amount on it say no more than $1000 and only use that to set up your payplal account. That was the recommendation from my son who has bought and sold using Paypal for years with no problems.

We have two paypal accounts, one for myself and one for my husband. We use our debit cards and have for the past several years. We have never had a problem. The account that I use is a small checking account - I don't even have checks for the account. It usually carries a balance of around $10 in case I don't have enough in my paypal account. I'd say it is very, very safe as long as you're responsible with the information you give out.