Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Oven Burns the Bottom of Baked Goods

I have a problem with my oven baking cookies, biscuits, etc. too quickly on the bottom and they often burn. I've tried different remedies to correct this, but they don't work. Does anyone have a solution? Thanks.

By mother of 5 from Nova Scotia

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Bobbie Hudson-Penick02/14/2010

I agree your oven is baking too hot but for a quick inexpensive remedy just use two cookie sheets. If you have two that are the same size just put one on top of the other.

By Dorothy [1]02/13/2010

Stay away from teflon cookie sheets since the dark color attracts the heat. If you have 'em then just put parchment over the when baking.

By Louise B. [4]02/13/2010

It may also be that you are filling the oven too full and /or not preheating your oven. If you don't preheat, you get too much heat from the bottom burner, which is on, and there is no hot air above cooking the baked goods. Also if you fill the oven too full, you don't get proper heat circulation, which can also cause the bottoms to burn before the tops bake.

You could have a combination of these problems, as well as the too hot oven and thin pans.

By linda lush [67]02/13/2010

I agree with the oven temperature being off answer. My oven would always seen to burn stuff even though I was careful to watch the time, etc. I bought an oven thermometer and found it was 50 degrees to hot. So if I need to bake at 350 F., I set it for 300 F, no more problems.

By Paulette Gulakowski [7]02/13/2010

Try parchment paper for cookies and turning the heat down a bit. I reuse the parchment for a number of batches until it gets browned/ripped.

By Susan Meadors [3]02/13/2010

I love my oven stone from Pampered Chef. Yes, it was expensive when I purchased it, but I haven't regretted it.

By Dolna Garbary [3]02/13/2010

Your oven might be too hot, like mine. This can happen if the thermostat is inaccurate. I have to subtract 150 from the temperature called for in the recipe, which I learned by trial and error. But I since learned that an easier way to test your oven temperature is with an oven thermometer, such as the one shown here: http://www.foodutensils.com.au/oven-thermometer-p-959.html
(Note: an oven thermometer isn't the same thing as a meat thermometer or candy thermometer)
Ask around and you might find someone who will loan you one, rather than having to buy one. Hope that's a help.

By Susan Mickelson [6]02/13/2010

A friend of mine also had the burning problem. She was using aluminum foil to line the bottom of her oven. This created more of a radiant heat. She replaced the foil with a non-stick liner and the burning stopped. Good luck.

By LEONA LABINE [40]02/13/2010

I don't know if you have tried this.
Whatever the temperature that is called for in a recipe, say 350 degrees, always set it for higher, 375 degrees.
Once your oven light goes out.

Put your cookie sheet in the oven and then turn the oven to the desired temperature, in this case back to 350 degrees.
If you heat the oven to the exact temperature and when you open the door to put something in, hot air escapes and the light will go on and your bottom burner will heat up again and turn red, burning your cookies.
Hopes this helps

By Rosemarie [4]02/12/2010

You should move the rack up one in the oven. You should also buy a better cookie sheet. You will want to look for a thicker one. I try to buy fairly heavy cookie sheet. They provide more even heat distribution. Think of a cast iron pan. How well they cook how much people like them. One thing you will notice is a well seasoned pan does not burn in one spot. I will normally burn all over pretty evenly (if properly seasoned that is) because the metal is so thick it provides great heat distribution meaning that the pan does not have spots that are hotter than other spots. It is uniformly heated. The same thing goes with your cookie sheets cake pans so on and so forth.

By momto8kiddos [1]02/09/2010

Your cookies are burning because the baking sheet is hotter than your cookies. A baking sheet made of stone will never do that. Since we've switched to stoneware we've never burned a single cookie. Beware though, the stoneware is expensive. We got ours from Pampered Chef. So in theory we could have gotten it for free by hosting a party.

By jackie 02/09/2010

i just put them on the next level in the oven.

By OliveOyl02/09/2010

Try purchasing a better cookie sheet--an insulated one with 2 layers. The thin cheap aluminum pans don't work very well. Have you tried reducing the heat when you bake, or placing the oven rack at a higher level.

By LizO02/09/2010

I've found that the wrong pan will burn cookies every time. I have two pans I've used for cookies (it's about the only thing I will bake) and have relegated one to only being a pan to catch drips from casseroles now. The other one is fine.