Quilts from Thrift Store Fabrics

My 85 year old mother-in-law lives with me. We've been buying fabric and notions at thrift stores for about a year now, costing us 2 dollars a Walmart sized bag. We decided it would be neat to make the family quilts for Christmas. We chose easy patterns, she cut and ironed the pieces and I sewed then together. They turned out beautiful and I'm sure the family will cherish them for years to come. We had enough to piece together more than 2 quilts with a 2 dollar bag of thrift store fabric. We recycled, saved money and made some great memories working together.

By Sherry from Paducah, KY

I think maybe I'm your long lost cousin and I want a quilt, too! =(^.^)=

Those are just beautiful, I'm sure they'll be cherished. What a creative and frugal gift. :)

Oh, WOW!! I am so impressed. How kind and thoughtful of you. I'd be happy with even a lap size throw. I am going to stow this idea away in my mind for future plans.

They are gorgeous! What a talented lady!!!

I buy flannel sheets at the Salvation Army and use cast off jeans to make rag quilts for my grandkids...I've made 7 so far and have bunches more to go. My kids want them, too but have to wait till the grandkids get theirs. They are nothing near what you've made...but the kids love them!

Grandma Jan

They are so pretty, I also quilt. Very nice job .

...Time caught in a lovely web of quilts. So beautiful to look at.

The quilts are beautiful!! And isn't it a blessing to have a good and sweet mother-in-law you can make memories with instead of fighting? Both of mine were absolute jewels!!

Merry Christmas!!

Just simply beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

How warm and loving. Wish my mother-in-law was still with us and we were enjoying doing things. She left behind three candlewick quilts which she made and they are beautiful. I love quilting but arthritis grabbed me at an early age and I can't do handwork any more but do have them machine quilted when I get the tops done. We have a nice thrift store and that gives me ideas.

Thank you all so much for the positive feedback. My MIL is amazed with the internet and now she feels like she has friends everywhere. She is a most wonderful and kind person who dearly loves her family. I hope they will know this when they coverup with these quilts.

sherry

I have long admired people who can do hand work like sewing and quilting and can their own food harvests.

I used to do floral design and that was a lot of fun for me. Alas, old arthur has got me too.

Your quilts are so pretty- great job.

Great Granny vi

WOW very nice that both of you could make all those quilts together you are both very blessed to share this time together............HAPPY HOLIDAYS to you both,Jeanne 3737 IN Maine

I get supplies for quilting at the local Salvation Army. Choose large flat sheets or large men's shirts for the fabric. The selection is excellent and the price is very inexpensive.

I have been collecting fabric scraps the same way and is wonderful, I have made two quilts for granddaughter and grandson that recently got married. I also check out resale shops for more just in case. Each quilt only cost about $25 plus my time.

Quilting Tips and Tricks, Nine patch quilt block and tools.
Quilting Tips and Tricks
Crafts QuiltingDecember 15, 2008
Image of vintage quilt composed of triangles.
Caring for Quilts
A Christmas wreath made from neckties.
Crafts Using Neckties
Old Quilt
Crafts Using Old Quilts
Up close photo of a colorful koi quilt.
Cleaning a Quilt
🎉
🎄