Plastic Coffee Can Yarn Holder

Someone wrote in that she rolls her yarn into a ball and puts it in a coffee can with a hole in the lid for the yarn to come up through. I tried that, but the edge of the plastic lid kept cutting the yarn. So I came up with a better method. I still use the coffee can and its plastic lid. But I cut the hole much larger. Then I take a circle of plastic canvas and cut out the center of it just a few rounds in.

After doing this I use double strands of yarn and whip stitch all the way around to cover the edge completely. But I only do this for the edge. Next I glue the unworked plastic canvas to the under side of the plastic lid. Now my yarn comes up nicely without catching or breaking.

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

Even easier:

When you go to a grocery store that has an empty container of those germ-killing wipes you use to disinfect your shopping cart with, ask if you can have the empty container... Then simply pour out any liquid that may be leftover & use for your yarn.

The hole is already in the top & these containers are big enough to hold your yarn. * A great way to keep your cat from attacking your yarn!

Large containers for Quaker oatmeal work wonders for holding yarn and do not have any rough edges and oatmeal is good for you.

To get the edge of the cut hole smooth, just take a lighter and carefully "melt" around the hole. It will be snag-free.

I started doing this some time back, but I took the 'man's way' out of doing everything, I folded duct tape around the edges of the hole LOL!

One thing that I also love to do is to put a potpourri of some kind in the can, if you are not working on a garmet that has to be blocked, it adds a very light scent that make the item special. I usually just put whatever scent I want in a small sandwich bag, and either leaving the top of the bag totally open if it is herbal leaves, cinnamon sticks or something like that, or I close it halfway if it is a mixture of smaller cuts. If you just push the bag against the side of the can as you put in each new ball it does not fall over and spill out the contents; or at least it never has for me yet! Famouse last words huh!

A woman holding yarn.
Homemade Yarn Holder Ideas
Organizing CraftsApril 20, 2010
Toothbrushes in Holder
Cleaning a Toothbrush Holder
Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker
Wood Knife Holder
Making a Kitchen Knife Holder
CD Candle Holder
Making a CD Candle Holder