Keeping Birds from Eating Strawberries

Protect your berries from thieves so you can enjoy them. This guide is about keeping birds from eating strawberries.

July 29, 2010 Flag

To protect your strawberry beds from birds, gather several small pebbles, paint them red with craft paint and sprinkle them in and around your strawberry plants. After awhile, the birds will get tired of pecking the rocks and leave the strawberries alone.

Source: an old gardening magazine article I had read

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 18, 2013 Flag

Has anyone ever used dog hair in their garden to prevent birds and other animals from eating their vegetables and strawberries? I mixed the hair into the soil all around my garden. I hope it works. Any other suggestions?

By Sandy L.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 29, 2010 Flag

How can I keep the birds from eating my strawberries?

By LISAHEYN from IN

Answers:

Keeping Birds from Eating Strawberries

Here is what I did for the cars and I am thinking it would work as well for the birds on the strawberries:

Put up a line of string across or around your garden where they bother the most:

Hang these on the string:

• Trash bag shredded into a lot of long wavy things that blow in the wind

• CD on a string

• Chimes (they hate these)

• Little windmills you buy at the dollar store, stick them in the dirt by the strawberries.

• Buy fake snakes and place them around

• Foil plates hanging or foil butterflies made out of foil tied together in the middle..it looks like a bowtie.

Hope these work! (06/24/2009)

By Robyn Fed

Keeping Birds from Eating Strawberries

P>Very best idea: Rescue an outdoor cat. Our little hunter-cat keeps birds away!

• You can also buy a "Motion Sensor Owl"

• You can also hand old CDs that flash in the wind and reflect sunlight

• Use a motion sensor tape recording of human's voices or predator birds

• Use a supersonic bird chase

• place a net over the plants

• place rubber snakes around bushes and move them daily

• buy a "wirley bird repeller"

• Metallic streamers, like metallic ribbon from the dollar store tied to vine:

• At the dollar store I've seen lengths of gold "rope" with attached coin-shaped plastic thin metallic tags that sparkle. This is sold in the ribbon area of Dollar Tree.

• Irri-Tape iridescent bird deterrent foil combines holography, wind and light to irritate birds:

• Hang Christmas ornaments and tinsel that sparkle and move in the wind

By Cyinda

RE: Keeping Birds from Eating Strawberries

Keeping Birds from Eating Strawberries

I have read that early in the season to paint rocks about the size of strawberries red and place in plants. The birds try these and give up. I don't know if it works may be worth a try. I use old net and sheer curtains to cover my plants and this does work. Thrift stores are a good source for sheer curtains.

(06/26/2009)

By pink tractor

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Gardening Pest ControlJune 27, 2013
Bored Kid at a Restaurant
Keep Children Entertained When Eating Out
Growing Strawberries
Growing Strawberries in a Greenhouse
Coring or Hulling Strawberries
Tips for Coring or Hulling Strawberries
Fresh strawberries in a jar with a colander in the background.
Canning Strawberries
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 9:01:30 AM on 10.0.1.155 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.