Buy Yarn For Specific Projects

I tried to keep my yarn organized and finally after trying umpteen different methods, decided "forget it!" I donated 5 large leaf bags full to the local "old folks home" and still had lots of yarn left. It took me a couple of years, but I finally used it all up.

Now the only time I buy yarn is if I have something specific in mind to make. Then I print out the pattern (I get most of mine off the internet or if it's in a catalog or magazine I copy it on the printer) and get any other things I need for it (buttons, ribbons, elastic, whatever). Then I put everything for that one project into a bin (I went to the dollar store and picked up 10 small bins for small items like hats, scarves; 5 larger bins for things like sweaters, etc; and 2 bigger bins for afghans) and label the bin. This way whether I make the item now or hold off till another time, everything is together and I don't have to go searching for things. Plus by keeping them in these bins and the bins all together, my craft room looks so much neater now.

Source: Tired of walking over skeins!

By Cricket from Parkton, NC

Picture of several skeins of yarn.
Organizing Yarn
Organizing CraftsJuly 24, 2011
Wind Yarn with a Hand Mixer
Rolling Up Leftover Yarn
knitting needles
Using Eyelash Yarn
Scrap Yarn Project Ideas
Scrap Yarn Project Ideas
Trellis Yarn Necklace
Making Trellis Yarn Jewelry