Squirrels Eating Flowers

I live in a garden apartment and my upstairs neighbor feeds the very large squirrel population. I love to grow flowers in planters on the stoop, but the squirrels uproot the flowers and I find them lying dead next to the planters.

Does anyone know any "annual" flowers that they don't like or have any suggestions? I'm so tired of spending money on flowers and it also makes me so sad to see them destroyed. (Forget the neighbor, as no one can make him stop feeding them.) Thanks.

By SBTulip115 from Queens, NY

Best Answer

Cedar squares like you hang in closets will help as well. Put them on top of your planters. And rubber snakes, as long as you remember they are there! And fake owls work for a while.

I used to think squirrels were such cute little things and fed them too.... I've discovered, like you, that they are pests and destructive to my flowers. I don't have an answer to the problem but hope someone else does! I have a cat but he doesn't seem to deter the squirrels... granted, he is only outside occasionally.

I know exactly what you mean. Unfortunately, in the town where I live it is illegal to shoot them with a pellet gun, the same goes for the people in the complex that feed them. I had ordered something called hot pepper spray that is supposed to repel animals and won't hurt the plants, I just received it, but haven't had a chance to try it yet. There is also something that comes in little cloth bags that is supposed to repel squirrels, I guess you hang that on a twig, in a tree, or whatever. I don't know if that works either.

Hot pepper sauce will keep the critters away, good luck

Anonymous

Try sprinkling cayenne pepper around your plants, it usually works!

No it doesn't work. I have use chili powder, cayenne pepper, hot peppers, white and apple cider vinegar separate and together and Nothing works. Sorry

Buy a cat.

Anonymous

You could tell that neighbor that squirrels are vectors of disease and not a good idea to attract them.