Oily Sand For Garden Tool Maintenance

Sink an old metal bucket into the soil and fill it with sand. Get some some old sump oil from your motor mechanic and pour it into the bucket saturating the sand. When you've finished each day in the garden dig into the oily sand with your spades and forks making sure each is well coated. It will prevent rust and rot where the wooden handle is joined to the garden tool.

Source: My grandmother and she's been gone fifty years and I'm sure she wouldn't mind her big mouthed grand daughter giving out her tips. If I'm fortunate enough to win, I'd like it to go to one of your children's hospitals. Cheers !

By Margaret from Victoria, Australia

Wow, what a great idea! The sand cleans the tool and the oil protects it! I'm going to pass this on. Thanks!

Great Idea! ... But, I'd use a plastic bucket, because the metal bucket could rust or have small holes in which the oil could possibly escape & pollute the ground water.

Hmmm, I wonder if you could use rancid cooking oil too?

If there's moist clay soil on any tool, that moisture is a perfect set-up for RUST beneath the oil coating.

I'd never use the sand to clean anything moist or

muddy, only fully dry. The oil will work great on dry clean tools, but cause rust otherwise, unless a stainless steel tool, which CAN rust, but usually doesn't. God bless you. : )

Garden Tools in Basket
Maintaining Garden Tools
Home and Garden Gardening ToolsJanuary 10, 2008
sedum flowers
Low Maintenance Plants
Photo of a someone checking their oil.
Keeping Track of Your Car's Maintenance Requirements
Closeup of Facial Pores and Oily Skin
Remedies for Oily Skin
Poison ivy growing up a tree trunk.
Getting Rid of Poison Ivy Plants
🎄
🍂