The Best Apples for Baking

What are the best kind of apples for baked goods? Not sure if I should just ask Canadians this (lol) as the USA might have different kinds of apples there. There are just so many different kinds in the grocery stores now a days. Would love everyone's input on this.

Yvonne from Ontario

I found that granny smiths are really good beacause they are tart and with all the sugar that you add to recipes they tend to be the perfect mixture. If you are looking for a red apple sparten are good.

Cook's Illustrated magazine (the same folks who do the America's Test Kitchen show on TV) from several months ago recommends the following:

For cooking/baking:

Cortland

Jonagold

Empire

Granny Smith

Golden Delicious (will be very soft and sweet)

For raw out-of-hand eating:

Braeburn

Gala

Macoun

Fuji

Jonagold

Macintosh

Winesap

Rome Beauty

Hope this helps!

Personally, I have had good success using Cortland apples for pies, crumbles etc. I am in Ontario.

For a true apple pie I have always used Granny Smith apples they hold up well when baking.

For a great burst of flavor and snack then have a

GALA or PinkLady, Fuji apple ;those are yummy.

I like fuji's or Gala, but the best canned I have found are at wal-mart....Great Value (or whatever the brand is) sweetened with splenda (NO acesulfame potassium or Nutrasweet!) Just add your cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. and it is not too sweet, just a lot of flavor! I found the regular pie filling I add one cup of cut strawberries or apples to so the hf corn syrup gets stretched out....not my primary choice, but apple-strawberry pie is becoming a new favorite in my house after that experiment!

Sorry....I mentioned the canned because the wm ones averaged 1.20 per can, much cheaper than purchasing the apples for the pie! This fall, I have an apple tree (unknown, tart) that I hope to use for many pies and kuchen!

the best is mcintosh that my grandmother used for her pies. were talking a long time ago ,if she were still alive she would be 113 years old. you use approx. 8 apples depending on size ..peel and slice them and add 2/3 cups of sugar ,1-1/2 tsp. of cinnamon,2 tbsp.flour and mix well. pour into a pie crust,and cover with top crust...bake at 425 for 15 mins and then 350 for 45 mins... the best !!!!!

I live in Canada as well. I personally like McIntosh ,Gala and Gravensteins. They`ve all been very good. Gravensteins are sometimes hard to find but well worth the search. I believe they`re grown in the Annapolis Valley of N.S.

My very favorite apples for baking -- I'm an apple pie specialist -- are gravensteins. They're hard to

find, nowadays. The closest seconds are pink ladies, fujis and granny smiths. You have to taste the apples while you're peeling them. If they're not quite tasty or tart enough, you add a little lemon juice to the pie. Along with cinnamon, ginger, and cloves, add a little nutmeg. A secret: add a little salt or salt substitute. Splenda's a great sugar substitute, if you need it.

wow so many different opinions, thanks everyone. Appreciate you input on this.

I love to cook with and eat Cortlands.

I'm in Texas, and the granny smith apples here are big, not juicy, and are rather disappointing compared to what mom made back in the 50's. So I'm going to try cortlands for my next outing with apple pie.

My mother is a big fan of the Northern Spy for pie.

Can I use Anna apples for baking?

Editor's Note: I hadn't heard of these before. From what I read, they are good for eating fresh or cooking.

Just found a huge apple tree, but, I'm having a hard time determining what kind they are. Bigger than crab apples, but not as big as the ones in the store. Anyone have any ideas as to what to do with them? I'd appreciate any input! Thanks! snorainbow1 AT frontiernet.net

For Megan with the mystery apple tree: dry slices of apple for snacks, make applesauce or apple butter in your crockpot, core and bake with butter and brown sugar, make apple betty, apple crisp or pie.

My very favorite apples for pies/baking are Pippin. They retain their shape and the tartiness lends well with the sugar and cinnamon. Hard to find, but seem to be plentiful during the holiday season.

I recently decided to make a home made apple crumb pie for hubby as it has been a long time since I tackled this project. I have always used Granny Smith apples but wanted a variation in flavors and because they were on sale at the local market, I chose Jonagolds. Never having eaten one before, I was delightfully surprised at the burst of flavor in my mouth. A cross between Golden delicious and Jonathan apples, they were the perfect compliment to the tartness of the Granny's. The pie turned out to be a true winner and the apples retained their shape. The next pie I make will feature Gala apples and the Granny Smith's. I am on a quest to make the perfect marriage of apples for my future pies.

Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingJanuary 19, 2006
Pile of green apples.
Selecting Good Apples
A pile of dried apple slices.
Drying Apples
Applesauce
Freezing Applesauce
Green apple sitting on the lid of a canning jar.
Canning Apples
🎄