Pursuing a Music Career

Music is my life. I am playing piano, guitar, and singing. I am planning on going to music school and I need to make an decision. If I don't get in the music school, I don't know what will I do? I am so scared and I think about it all the time.

By Tina

What decision are you thinking about? It looks like you're 13 years old, so you probably still have a few years before you're out of high school (unless you're graduating really early).

We have some good friends who studied music. He got his doctorate, and teaches high school band. He's also played in several major orchestras. She has several degrees, and I think she has a regular job, plus she gives lessons out of a local music shop. It took a long time (LOTS of school) for them to get where they are.

It's possible you'll always have your passion for music, but you might need to do something else to earn a regular paycheck while pursuing your passion. It's also possible that, in a few years, your life will take you in a completely different direction. It's something else to think about. I think you should have a chat with your guidance counselor at school. Best of luck!

You can always audition to sing at an amusement park (6 flags, disney, dollywood, etc). Alot of these performers get discovered this way. You can also try your luck and find a job (any job) in Nashville or Memphis and in your free time audition, audition, audtion.

You must have faith! Worrying isn't going to help anything. In fact when you worry you are wasting time. Replace your time worrying with doing research on music careers, internships, etc. Every time you want to worry, stop yourself and do something constructive instead. Go to the library or practice getting better on your piano or guitar or singing. And don't give up. Even if you get rejected, have faith that something better is out there for you and keep trying!

Try to relax and enjoy the music you are involved in. When you bring fear and worry into the situation, it won't be fun anymore.

Arnold Dorsey showed an interest in music and began learning the saxophone. He started work as an apprentice engineer and by the early 1950s he was playing the instrument in nightclubs, but he is believed not to have tried singing until he was 17 and friends coaxed him into entering a pub contest. His impression of Jerry Lewis prompted friends to begin calling him "Gerry Dorsey," a name he worked under for almost a decade.

Dorsey struggled for several years to make it in music but he persevered. One day he changed his name and the rest was history. Englebert Humperdinck finally became a best-selling artist.

Madonna is another one whose career took time to get going. In fact, she was awful when she first started out. Perseverence and tenacity were her tools.

Don't give up, but again, relax and enjoy your music.

Tina my daughter is going through the same thing right now she is going back to school to get her Master's degree. And she is so woried about getting accepted into the school she wants. She play piano, guitar and sings also like you . She wants to go for music therapy. Another idea for you is have you thought of joining the service? My son is in the Marines and in the Marine Core Band he plays percussion. Just calm down and go with the flow and follow your dream and reach for the stars.You'll get there.

EducationApril 20, 2010
Decoupaging a dresser with old sheet music.
Decoupaging Furniture With Sheet Music
Closeup of a woman playing keyboard
Saving Money on Music Lessons
College Graduation Gift
College Graduation Gift Ideas
Bride and Groom Planning Wedding Music
Saving Money on Wedding Music
🎄