Prevent Roaches and Ants with Boric Acid

When I was growing up, we used Boric Acid powder around our baseboards in the kitchen, around the backsplash on the counters and in the drawers and cabinets to prevent roaches, ants, etc.

It is also used (diluted down) as an eye wash for eye infections.

By Tawnda

I use a system that I purchased off of t.v. called Pest Offense. This really works when it comes to roaches and mice. You just plug it in and forget it. Its safe around all pets but birds and rodents. The system works by emitting sounds through the wiring in the walls of your house where they hide. And yes, it emits sounds also outside of the walls. Out of all the plug-in systems, this one is the Best. Aloha.

I have to agree with Melissa. I purchased a Pest Offense about 3 years ago. I live in an apartment on the ground floor, and I've seen a huge reduction in bugs that might get in through the doggy door or through a slightly opened window. I've spoken to professional pest control "experts" who laugh when I tell them it seems to work as well as their chemicals. All I can say is the occasional roach that does make it in (and I do mean occasioanal), it's kind of strange; this spring/summer, I found 1 dead, and the other one on it's back as if it were trying to get away and flipped over. I just wish it worked as well on spiders (daddy long leg types).

I've recently had small-ant incursions, mostly into my kitchen & bath. Boric acid sounds like a good idea, but I have indoor cats. Is it safe for them? Also, can you make a solution & just spray it on? Thanks!

The best thing I did when I was building apartments for rent was to regularly, during different phases of construction, liberally apply Boric Acid to all locations. When the kitchens and bathrooms cabinets were being installed, I very liberally sprinkled it behind and under the areas that would be hidden. Same thing around and under the "manufactured" fireplaces. I also sprinkeled it under the hardwood floors as they were installed. I tried to do it under the sheetrock spaces, but the sheetrock people were so fast that I was not as successful with that. *** In 15 years I have had no flea, roach, or silverfish problem. Still get little spiders. I do not need to use a "pest control" service at all.

Getting Rid of Cockroaches, Woman about to hit a cockroach with a frying pan.
Getting Rid of Cockroaches
Home and Garden Pest Control CockroachesMay 5, 2004
Cockroach on a wooden surface
Getting Rid of Cockroaches in an Apartment
Ants on a Trumpet Vine
Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine
A car battery.
Cleaning Up Battery Acid
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants
🎄