Making a T-shirt Quilt Using Polar Fleece

I'm looking for advice on making a T-shirt quilt using polar fleece. My daughter is thinking we can fuse the back of t-shirts, sew them to a fleece square, then tie the squares together for one side, then tie that side to the backing. Any ideas if this will work?

By Marcy from NE

Answers

Why not just cut the front of the t-shirts off and just sew the front to the square of fleece. I have seen pictures of quilts where the squares are tied together, but they have used different materials. My thought is that the t-shirts might be more stretchable than the fleece, and you could end up with something that gets out of shape.

Different t-shirts also have a different amount of stretch. I have seen where people make quilts out of t -shirts but they just use the fronts of the tee shirts cut into squares and sewed together and then proceed like for any quilt. If this is because your daughter wants to use some of her t-shirts in a quilt for keepsakes, I have used some of my daughters t-shirts and made throw pillows out of them. I cut the front and back parts into the size square that I want and sew them together, leaving one end open in order to either insert a pillow form or to stuff it with fiber fill and then sew the open end up.

Photo of a quilt made with tshirts.
Making a T-shirt Quilt
Crafts QuiltingMarch 7, 2010
Up close photo of quilt binding.
Binding a Quilt
Paper pieced quilt top, endless chains pattern.
Making a Paper Pieced Quilt
A pile of old photos.
Making a Photo Quilt
Polar Fleece Blankets Ready for Poncho Making
Making a Polar Fleece Poncho
🎉
🎄