Septic TankHome Improvement

Washer Lint Blocking Pipes In The Septic Field

We have a septic tank and are having a problem with lint from the laundry blocking the pipes in the septic field. I use a filter on the hose that discharges water from the washer and also in the drain of the laundry tub, but it seems that lint is still getting through. Does anyone out there have any hints on eliminating lint? I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Joankay from Chesterfield, MI

A septic field is pretty important... have you thought about unhooking your washer from the septic tank and running your washing water out as "grey" water?

I have experienced a similar problem, but the lint blocked up the wash tub plumbing and I had to constantly plunge out the drain. Now, I use knee-high stockings that I buy at the dollar store and put them over the drainage tube from the washer, they hold in the lint and let the water drain out. I change them often because the lint is so bad. Right now, I have TWO knee-highs on at once to see if it will stop even more lint from getting through. I also bought a lint-screen cover that fits over the wash tub drain AND I bought another that actually sits down in the drain. I haven't had to do anymore plunging and haven't had the washtub overflow all over the floor anymore either. Good luck to you in finding a solution!

We have a septic tank but also have a washer bed. My washing machine drains directly into that and NOT the septic tank or lines. I think it is a deep hole filled with big rock and then covered with dirt.