Painting After Removing Wallpaper

My walls are damaged after years of papering. I now want to paint them. Is there an easy way to repair them is it expensive to get them skimmed.

By Helen from Inverness Highland

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

We renovated an old house with damaged walls. As we could not get them smooth enough to look good with ordinary paint, we used a sand paint. It did an amazing "cover up" job. Of course you do have to get the old paper and paste off first, as with any paint.

March 31, 2011 Flag

How do I repaint a wall after removing plastic wallpaper?

By Vincent from Dublin, Ireland

Answers:

Painting After Removing Wallpaper

You need to be sure all glue is off the walls and that the surface is smooth. You can do this by lightly sanding the walls, then wiping them down with a damp cloth. After the walls are dry, you will need to prime then paint them or you could buy one of the new primer and paint combos. (10/20/2010)

By PDG

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 18, 2010 Flag

I removed the wallpaper and I want to use Magnolia to paint the wall. What can I do first? What kind of paint can I use after having removed the wall paper?

By Antonio

Answers:

Painting After Removing Wallpaper

I would lightly sand the walls to make sure all the wallpaper glue is off them, then depending on condition of the wall, you may want to prime them first. Then apply the paint. It should come out good and the primer will insure your paint goes on smoothly and evenly. Good luck. (05/18/2010)

By Amy3e

Painting After Removing Wallpaper

Also make sure you've taken off all the thin white paper that was on the back of the wallpaper. It's a pain, but it can mess up your paint job if it's still on there. Use a good primer and a good paint (from a paint store, even though it costs more it will last longer). (05/18/2010)

By Allison5

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 18, 2010 Flag

I have taken down wallpaper and patched the walls, but when I went to paint the wall, it bubbled up in spots. What's the problem?

Sharon

Answers:

Painting After Removing Wallpaper

Give the wall area a good 'sanding' with 000 grit or steel wool. Then wipe off the residue. You could also have a moisture build up there for bubbling. Moisture and paint do not mix. We have an exterior issue with paint not staying on the house due to moisture in the new wood from the get go. (12/01/2008)

By TandT Grandma

Painting After Removing Wallpaper

I don't know what the problem could be, but you might try texturizing the walls before you paint. You can find some relatively inexpensive spray-on texture that dries pretty quickly, and it may then give the paint something to stick to. We got our texture product at Walmart. (12/01/2008)

By Kristen

Painting After Removing Wallpaper

Wash the glue residue off the walls with TSP. (12/02/2008)

By PICO

Painting After Removing Wallpaper

If the patches were not completely dry, you will get bubbles. (12/02/2008)

By Beth

Painting After Removing Wallpaper

Sharon, normally when you take down wall paper, you scrub the walls down with tsp (trisodium phosphate, purchased @ hardware store) and rinse with clear water and sponge until all the paste is off. Let dry and paint. I am not sure what you meant by patching. Hope this helps. (12/03/2008)

Painting After Removing Wallpaper

I just removed three layers of wallpaper - the top one was the textured wallpaper and it was painted. I used a combination of my old standby ammonia and hot water and then also tried the newer suggestion of fabric softener. The combination seemed to work well - the fabric softener on the old vinyl type wallpaper and the ammonia on the backing.

I then TSPd the wall with a scotch brite scrubbing pad and rinsed it but noticed I still had a slight film of something, so I went over everything again with a mixture of white vinegar and hot water. Since this is the first time I have used fabric softener, could this be the cause of what appears to be a film of some kind? I plan to start painting tomorrow but don't want my paint to "alligator." (01/26/2009)

By Marilyn K.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 30, 2008 Flag

After removing wallpaper what is the next step before painting the wall?

Suzette from Linden, NJ

Answers:

Painting After Removing Wallpaper

Suzette, I cannot stress this enough. Wash the walls, then wash them again. Then, wash them again. I am only speaking from experience. I stripped off wallpaper from my dining room and washed the walls. Then, I painted them. Within two weeks the paint was peeling. I hadn't washed off all the wallpaper paste like I thought I had. It is a mess to deal with after the fact. Do it right the first time. (12/07/2006)

By Persnickety Paula

Painting After Removing Wallpaper

I can not agree more with Paula! AND, if you will add a cup of regular white vinegar, to a pail of warm water, it will help to dissolve the old paste, left on the wall. Like Paula says...the paint will peel off, IF paste is left on the wall! (12/11/2006)

By Sharon

Painting After Removing Wallpaper

Clean the walls really good, spackle any areas that are cracked let dry sand wipe off and then paint (12/14/2006)

By Brenda from Texas

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Two women removing wallpaper.
Painting After Removing Wallpaper
Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingMarch 31, 2011
Blue and white retro wallpaper.
Cleaning Wallpaper
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted, Gloved hand scraping off wallpaper.
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted
Painting Over Wallpaper, Vintage Peeling Wallaper
Painting Over Wallpaper
cleaning grease off wallpaper
Cleaning Grease Off Wallpaper
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 11:24:30 AM on 10.0.0.148 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.