Food for a Graduation Party

My daughter graduates from high school this Sunday and I need to shop for the party. We are serving individual sandwiches, tossed green salad, potato salad, vegetables and dip, a fruit tray, relish tray, assorted chips and cake. Should we include anything else in the menu? And how do I determine how many dollar-roll sandwiches we need for 40 guests? How much chicken salad, ham and turkey should I buy? Of course, I would rather have too much food than not enough... I will be grateful for any suggestions, as I am getting frantic!

THANKS so much!
MissouriMom from Elsberry, MO

Hi MissouriMom, Congratulations on your daughter's graduation, it sounds like you have things under control pretty well- my suggestion to you would be to include some sort of hot dish in your menu such as a baked bean or a mac and cheese. As far as meat portions go, 1/4 lb. per person maybe? I'm not familiar with the term "dollar roll" but if that is like what we up here in Wis. call a hard roll you should plan on 2 per person to be safe. How about if you made up a huge batch of meatballs and homemade sauce this week and heated that up in your crock pot so people could have a hot meatball sandwich on a roll? That might be tasty! (But I'm biased cuz' I'm Italian!) Just rememeber whatever you make to make it with love, and it will always turn out perfect! God Bless you and your family on your happy day!

Figuring How Much Food to Buy for Parties

I read this on Thrifty Fun. Hope this helps.

By Ronsan from Southwest Missouri 4-06 (

It will soon be time for graduation parties, family reunions,

etc., and it can be difficult to know how much food to fix for a large crowd. Here are several serving guides I have come to rely on:

Cold cuts: generally 2 to 3 ounces of deli meat per serving (25 servings of deli meat would be 3 to 5 pounds of meat). This is based on what is called a "sandwich slice" rather than shaved. Sandwich slices will go further than shaved as people often overload on shaved.

Cheese: allow 1 to 1.5 ounces of cheese slices per serving. (25 servings would be 1.5 to 2.5 pounds of cheese). Sliced cheese is more economical than cubes as people will generally only take one slice of cheese, but several cubes of cheese.

Vegetables: Plan on 4 to 6 pieces of raw vegetables per person in a relish tray. (How much dip to have is anyone's guess!)

Salad: One gallon of potato or pasta salad or chicken or tuna salad will feed approximately 25 people. Don't bother counting the kids in this because most of them won't eat this type of food.

Fruit: Plan on allowing 1/2 cup per serving of fruit per person. Generally, 1 pint of strawberries, blueberries or raspberries equals about 2 cups; 1 pound of green grapes equals 2 cups.

It sounds like a great menu, and I also think the meatball sandwiches are a good idea.

I am an entertainer and therefore attend a lot of parties & receptions. I have NEVER been to a party where there was enough dip, so I suggest buying twice as much veggie dip and fruit dip as you think you need.

May you have a wonderful party!

When I got married, I just asked the person working at the deli how much they suggest for sandwiches, they were very helpful and we had enough left over to take on our car trip to save money on our honeymoon. Congradulations on your daughter's graduation, and good luck!

Last weekend, I had a birthday party for my daughter with 25 of our family members. We did sandwiches as well (and actually had everything else you mentioned!). One thing that was a surprise hit--cold meatloaf slices for the sandwiches. My dad suggested it, as I was looking for ways to cut costs. I was skeptical, but it was the first thing to go! Everyone loved it and thought it was such a creative idea (thanks, Dad!). The best part--you almost HAVE to put it together a day or two before the party, so it can chill, and then all you have to do on party day is slice it.

Im in the same boat, mines on saturday for our daughter, I got on food and checked out Paula Deen's recipes, santa fe wraps, Taco salad, Im not fixing sandwiches,I went to GFS store(a bulk food store) and picked up already made pulled pork bbq. heat and serve,woo hoo.tortilla chips and 3 kinds of dip,veggie tray and fruit salad,pasta salad, I premade and froze some banana & Zuccinni breads.Graduation cake and soda, Iced tea,Im going to attempt to make it all friday for saturday. plus mow the lawn set up tables and tents, decorations..clean the house top to bottom work my 40 hours at my job and not pull my hair out.and sleep sometime soon..God help us all..good luck.Beckie...

Holidays and Parties Parties GraduationMay 17, 2006
A girl who has graduated, wearing her cap and gown.
College Graduation Party Ideas
High School Graduation Party Cupcake Centerpiece
High School Graduation Party Centerpiece Ideas
Mini Graduation Cap
Making Mini Graduation Cap Party Favors
Graduation Party Cupcake
Physicians Assistant Graduation Party Ideas