Dyeing a Vinyl Purse

I have a tiny vinyl houndstooth purse. I'd like it to be solid black. Can I use a permanent black marker to color it in, or would that look terrible?

By Susan from Cincinnati, OH

The thing that I need you to know is that you just burn it.

It's not possible to dye vinyl, to my knowledge. Permanent marker won't stick, it will rub off.

There are paints that work on plastic which are sold in hardware stores, might be Rustoleum? Used for painting plastic flower pots, and outdoor plastic chairs/tables. They work good, I painted some pots with them. I am betting that would work but I think it is kind of expensive.

You might try Michael's or Jo-anns to see if there is a permanent paint that sticks to plastic in one of those little $1 or $2 bottles. Seems when I was there I saw smaller sizes of everything in that one aisle.

I think it would be hard to coat the vinyl with a marking pen, it would be uneven and streaky. Painting would be more even if the paint would stick.

The marker would actually become sort of irredescent after a few days and looks really odd. I think that you will be best off with spray paint. Truly, though, the cost of the paint may actually be more than just replacing the purse with a solid black one that is more to your liking.

Consumer Advice Clothing AdviceJanuary 10, 2010
abstract tree wall decal
Making Vinyl Wall Decals
Cleaning a Vinyl Record
Cleaning Vinyl Records
Photo of spring cleaning supplies.
Cleaning Tar Off Vinyl