Ratio of Neck Binding to Neck Measurement for Stretch Sewing

For stretch sewing, what is the ratio for neck binding to neck measurement? I think the binding is 75% of the neckline measurement of the garment. Is this correct?

By Marilyn from Tucson, AZ

Your pattern should tell how much binding you need.

Many years ago, when almost everything was polyester knit and the Stretch and Sew Patterns were popular, I took a class and one of the things we made was a t-shirt. I don't remember the exact ratio but it was either 2/3 or 3/4 (75%) ribbing to neckline opening. (I guess it would also depend on how tight around the neck you're comfortable with.) We folded it longways and sewed it on the long side and sewed the ends to make a circle. Then we divided and pinned it in 4 equal parts onto the neck opening; then we pulled and strecthed it as we sewed. Perfect every time. I would suggest that you try it on something cheap first, and then make your adjustments. Hope this helps. Once I made five t-shirts for my hubby in one day: light blue with dark blue ribbing, tan with brown ribbing, light green with darker green ribbing, green with tan ribbing, and I don't remember the other one. I also put ribbing around the bottom of the sleeves. That way they were more of a casual shirt than a t-shirt. It's kind of hard to find ribbing now, at least here.

By the way, when I was doing all this I also lived in Tucson. We loved going up to the ski lodge at Mt. Lemmon and hiking in Sabino Canyon. I'm sure things have really changed since then.

Good luck.

Margaret from Denton, Texas

Crafts SewingMarch 5, 2011
Neck tie Christmas wreath idea.
Neck Tie Christmas Wreath
A worn and torn binding of a hard cover book.
Repairing a Book's Binding
Up close photo of quilt binding.
Binding a Quilt
A pregnant woman rubbing cream in her belly to prevent stretch marks.
Preventing Stretch Marks