Rabbits and Squirrels Eating Garden Plants

How can you keep rabbits and squirrels from eating your garden plants?

By Gary from Rock Falls, IL

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Go to a beauty salon and ask them to save hair for you. Sprinkle the hair throughout the garden. Animals stay away from human hair.

They are aggressive little buggers. I have replanted many times this year. Set trap after my beautiful tulips were their salad. My neighbors have had trouble other years, now mine is included. Now in my gardens. They would take out the seeds as they were put in. Cover with nylon netting, get at fabric shop CHEAP.

I found the rabbit nest in my lilies, not good for ridding the yard! You have to make it unfriendly. Fence in your gardens, use the wire type, I wrapped my day lilies seem to like them the best for hiding in. My beds are all off the ground, and they still like it. I started watering daily, shooting into the hiding areas.

Well 3 years ago I read on the internet that one could put bars of Irish Spring bar soap near the plants. This did not work for me.

My own inovation did work (and now I do see it on the internet) is this:

Get some cayenne pepper, the kind you use in cooking. I get mine in bulk. then place it in a large salt shaker and shake the cayenne on the leaves and around the plants on the ground. After a rain, do it again. Test first on one plant. It does not seem to harm my flowers in my front garden. I do not use it on my vegetables, as my back yard is fenced and the rabbits cannot get in. Someone told me it also works for squirrels.

I pay about 10 dollars a year for the cayenne, and it really works for me. And organic too!! I am not sure if the bunnies take a taste of the cayenne and get a hot mouth, or perhaps they sniff the ground and get the pepper in their nose. I don't think it hurts them one bit. I have not had any probem with rabbits for some time.... they do come near and eat the grass and clover, but not my tender flowers.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Home and Garden Gardening Pest ControlJune 13, 2010
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
Squirrel sitting.
Squirrels Eating Tomatoes
Squirrel Eating From Bird Feeder
Keeping Squirrels Away (Deterring Squirrels)
Black and white rabbit eating grass.
Keeping Rabbits Out of Your Garden
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 10:33:03 AM on 10.0.2.243 in 783 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.