Making Planters from Plastic Trash Cans

When the city converted to robot trash and recycle pick-up, I had five extra 32 gallon Rubbermaid trash cans. I have limited space for gardening, so I cut the bottom half of the trash cans off, drilled three holes (about 3/4 inch) on the bottom of the sides for drainage. I am now growing veggies in the large containers I created.

Now I have five top halves left over. Two of them I have started two compost piles (with lids) at the back of my yard. I turn the compost by simply picking up the plastic trash can upper, setting it down next to the pile, and forking the compost into it. I can turn the pile regularly with ease.

If you want to dress them up, you or your artistic kids (or grand-kids) can use some of that new Krylon spray paint that sticks to plastic. Perhaps camouflage them to blend in with the background. Use your imagination.

By Cebtoo from San Antonio, TX

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

recycled bike planter
Frugal Planter Ideas
Home and Garden Gardening Creative PlantersMay 12, 2009
Tuna Cans
Uses for Tuna Cans
Raccoon in park trash bin with plastic bag in its mouth.
Keeping Raccoons Out of the Trash
Broken terra cotta planter used to retain garden plant.
Reusing Terra Cotta Planters
wood trash bin
Homemade Trash Bin Crafts
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 14, 2016 at 9:36:18 AM on 10.0.1.102 in 822 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.