Canning Potatoes

How do I can new potatoes?

By badpads from Marquez, TX

After washing, cut them into quarters and place in water in your sink until your ready to pack your jars. You can with the skins to keep all the vitamins. I use a pressure canner. Potatoes have to be canned at 10 lbs of pressure. Pints take 35 minutes, quarts take 40. I do them both at 40, easier to remember.

Once you have your lids and rings boiled, ready to go...add 1/2 tsp salt to each of your jars, add potatoes and pack down by hitting the jar on the palm of your hand as it shifts down in the jar, fill with hot tap water, put on rings and lids..very tight. I have done over 5 cannings this summer. They are awesome for the winter months; rinse and heat up in the microwave..add milk, garlic, lemon zest for great smashed potatoes. Or rinse and place in a ziplock bag, add seasonings for roasted potatoes..(packages in Walmart) I use bacon and chives. Heat until hot..about 10 minutes. Can be done in the microwave or oven. Good luck