Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Keeping Color From Bleeding When Washing Clothing

Does anyone know how to stop color bleeding from clothes when washing them. Is there any way to stabilize the colored fabric so it will no longer run? Hoping someone has answer for me and thanks in advance if you do.

Dinnie from Tampa

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Gram 2 (Guest Post)12/14/2008

By soaking in salt water or vinager will it keep the fabric color from rubbing off on to another color while you are wearing it?

By MELODY (Guest Post)11/11/2008

Hi, I have a dress that has 3 colours on it. The base is white and it has one line of red fabric and one line of black fabric across it. The red from the fabric runs and the dress has turned pink. I have tried soaking it in cold water twice for days already but the colour worsens . I've tried most of your advice (ie salt vinegar and cold water treatment) but it has been stained to dark pink! I need help!

By Jeannie (Guest Post)03/09/2008

I am going to try Bright White, based on the above advice. The white collar on my favorite red rugby shirt has pink streaks, even though I washed it in cold water with a cup of vinegar. I will also try the salt trick in the future. Thanks.

By Francine (Guest Post)02/01/2008

The product used for quilts to stop color bleeding is called Grandma's Secret Spot Remover.
I found mine at Keepsake Quilting.com

By Su Wilson [6]01/29/2008

Salt! Soak the offending clothes in very salty water, then remove them and spin. You may need to repeat several times but it does work. It is also possible to remove the colour run off from clothes by doing this. Also washing alike colours together prevents the problem somewhat.

By Tina (Guest Post)01/29/2008

I washed a red and white uniform in cold water and on the hand-wash cycle.The white is now pink... I am desperate! Is there a chance to get the pink back to white?

By Ayaba (Guest Post)11/19/2007

My black bled into my white in my black and white cotton coat...now it is grey and black. What can I do to restore the white to white and not fade out the black?
ayaba 11 @ aol . com

By alltatteddown (Guest Post)05/11/2007

Well i am using the salt and vinegar treatment in cold water for an hour on a brand new pair of 501s. We'll see how it works.

By Barbara (Guest Post)03/09/2007

In the laundry section of the grocery, you can buy a box of sheets called Color-Catcher. Although the box says to use a new one each wash, we use them again and again and again. I only toss it when it doesn't have a real color left in it (even navy or brown) and it is dark and dingy. I wash all clothes worn close to the body in warm water (even my delicates) because cold water doesn't clean them well enough. Haven't had any color bleeding except to the Color Catcher sheet!

By Barbara (Guest Post)11/28/2006

Retayne is the product that is supposed to stop bleeding. I haven't tried it as it has formaldehyde in it.

By Joy Berry (Guest Post)04/28/2006

Do you think I would ruin a pair of white linen (55%) and rayon (45%) capris that says to dry clean only by washing them?. They are lined with polyester and have some decorative black stitching on the bottom.
Thank you.
JJ

By Colleen (Guest Post)01/05/2006

There is a product called Bright White that reverses colors that have run, stops running and removes yellow from under arm area (if it's not too bad).

By Daisy (Guest Post)07/16/2005

To keep colors from bleeding use: 1/2 Tablespoon salt and 1/2 Cup of White vinegar to 1/2 gal (2 qts.) of cold water. Soak for 1 hour, rinse and repeat if necessary. One item at a time will make it easier to check if it will be necessary to repeat the process.

By Tara (Guest Post)06/15/2005

I disagree will a lot of these statements. I've bought clothing, and after around the 5th time I ever wash my items, the clothing turns colors....ei: My brown shirt turned orange, my baby blue shirt turned pink. They never showed any signs of bleeding until that wash, I always use cold water and have never used bleach in my washing machine.

By Rose (Guest Post)02/04/2005

Call your nearest quilt shop. I can't remember the name but, you use a little of it in a bucket with water and the items and IT WILL NEVER RUN AGAIN. I wish I could remember the name. I need some more.

By Ann4 (Guest Post)02/01/2005

The first time I wash a new item that I don't want to fade, I wash it in cold water with just salt - probably a cup of salt. I will wash several items in the salt at once and I've never had problems with them fading on each other. I also wash all of my clothes in cold water and nothing else. If I want to kill germs, I run the items through the wash with liquid lysol and then again with regular detergent.

By Lucille Gifford (Guest Post)01/31/2005

If I remember correctly, adding salt to the water sets the color.

By (Guest Post)01/31/2005

Saok clothes in heavely salted water before washing.

By Shari (Guest Post)01/31/2005

When i worked in a children's clothing store, we always told the customers to soak clothing that had the potential to run (like bright reds) in a solution of 1/2 cup vinegar per 1 gallon of water for 30 minutes before washing. Supposedly any dye that would come out should be taken care of by this, and the rest of the dye would be set - though I've never tried it personally, I never had any customers come back complaining.

By Susan from Hamilton (Guest Post)01/31/2005

I wash only with cold water, which means no running colours. If I have to use warm I add salt to the water. Susan from Hamilton

By Wendy [7]01/31/2005

If you put a cup of vinegar in your wash water it will reduce color runoff onto other fabrics. Just make sure that you do not add chlorine bleach, as it will cause a chemical reaction.

Wendy