Browsing: Setting Dye on Clothing and Fabric

Keeping Color From Bleeding When Washing Clothing

Does anyone know how to stop color bleeding from clothes when washing them. Is there any way to stabilize the colored fabric so it will no longer run? Hoping someone has answer for me and thanks in advance if you do.

Dinnie from Tampa

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

If you put a cup of vinegar in your wash water it will reduce color runoff onto other fabrics. Just make sure that you do not add chlorine bleach, as it will cause a chemical reaction.

Wendy

I wash only with cold water, which means no running colours. If I have to use warm I add salt to the water. Susan from Hamilton

When i worked in a children's clothing store, we always told the customers to soak clothing that had the potential to run (like bright reds) in a solution of 1/2 cup vinegar per 1 gallon of water for 30 minutes before washing. Supposedly any dye that would come out should be taken care of by this, and the rest of the dye would be set - though I've never tried it personally, I never had any customers come back complaining.

Saok clothes in heavely salted water before washing.

If I remember correctly, adding salt to the water sets the color.

The first time I wash a new item that I don't want to fade, I wash it in cold water with just salt - probably a cup of salt. I will wash several items in the salt at once and I've never had problems with them fading on each other. I also wash all of my clothes in cold water and nothing else. If I want to kill germs, I run the items through the wash with liquid lysol and then again with regular detergent.

Call your nearest quilt shop. I can't remember the name but, you use a little of it in a bucket with water and the items and IT WILL NEVER RUN AGAIN. I wish I could remember the name. I need some more.

I disagree will a lot of these statements. I've bought clothing, and after around the 5th time I ever wash my items, the clothing turns colors....ei: My brown shirt turned orange, my baby blue shirt turned pink. They never showed any signs of bleeding until that wash, I always use cold water and have never used bleach in my washing machine.

To keep colors from bleeding use: 1/2 Tablespoon salt and 1/2 Cup of White vinegar to 1/2 gal (2 qts.) of cold water. Soak for 1 hour, rinse and repeat if necessary. One item at a time will make it easier to check if it will be necessary to repeat the process.

There is a product called Bright White that reverses colors that have run, stops running and removes yellow from under arm area (if it's not too bad).

Do you think I would ruin a pair of white linen (55%) and rayon (45%) capris that says to dry clean only by washing them?. They are lined with polyester and have some decorative black stitching on the bottom.

Thank you.

JJ

Retayne is the product that is supposed to stop bleeding. I haven't tried it as it has formaldehyde in it.

In the laundry section of the grocery, you can buy a box of sheets called Color-Catcher. Although the box says to use a new one each wash, we use them again and again and again. I only toss it when it doesn't have a real color left in it (even navy or brown) and it is dark and dingy. I wash all clothes worn close to the body in warm water (even my delicates) because cold water doesn't clean them well enough. Haven't had any color bleeding except to the Color Catcher sheet!

Well i am using the salt and vinegar treatment in cold water for an hour on a brand new pair of 501s. We'll see how it works.

My black bled into my white in my black and white cotton coat...now it is grey and black. What can I do to restore the white to white and not fade out the black?

ayaba 11 @ aol . com

I washed a red and white uniform in cold water and on the hand-wash cycle.The white is now pink... I am desperate! Is there a chance to get the pink back to white?

Salt! Soak the offending clothes in very salty water, then remove them and spin. You may need to repeat several times but it does work. It is also possible to remove the colour run off from clothes by doing this. Also washing alike colours together prevents the problem somewhat.

The product used for quilts to stop color bleeding is called Grandma's Secret Spot Remover.

I found mine at Keepsake Quilting.com

I am going to try Bright White, based on the above advice. The white collar on my favorite red rugby shirt has pink streaks, even though I washed it in cold water with a cup of vinegar. I will also try the salt trick in the future. Thanks.

Hi, I have a dress that has 3 colours on it. The base is white and it has one line of red fabric and one line of black fabric across it. The red from the fabric runs and the dress has turned pink. I have tried soaking it in cold water twice for days already but the colour worsens . I've tried most of your advice (ie salt vinegar and cold water treatment) but it has been stained to dark pink! I need help!

By soaking in salt water or vinager will it keep the fabric color from rubbing off on to another color while you are wearing it?

Setting Clothing Dye
Setting Dye on Clothing and Fabric
Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryJanuary 30, 2005
Pressure Washing a House
Pressure Washing Your House
Bleeding Heart
Growing Bleeding Heart
Pug with bandage leg.
Treating a Pet's Wound
Putting bandaid on child.
Stopping a Superficial Wound from Bleeding
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 28, 2016 at 3:55:02 PM on 10.0.0.119 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.