Setting Dye on Clothing and Fabric

Whether your clothes are brand new or you have done some dyeing, it is important to set the color. This guide is about setting clothing dye.

September 15, 2014 Flag

Many people recommend either vinegar or salt, but no one ever says "how much" to put in a washer load or even in a big pot. Will some one please give us that information in a usable form? Do you put in a cup or a whole gallon bottle of vinegar or a whole box of salt?

By Karahana

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you set dye in fabric?

I have soaked my black jeans in vinegar to keep them from fading and it has definitely worked. I've submerged them in a mostly (or at least 50%) vinegar mixture and left them in there for hours (sometimes 12-24).

Read More Answers...

December 13, 2004 Flag

When you wash dark clothes for the first time - use cold water and put salt in the water. The salt helps set the color. When I want to brighten dark clothes after they have been washed several times, I repeat the procedure (salt in cold water when washing).

Lou

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Trying to find an answer to setting color in material. Well how do I verify email

You should have received an email when you signed up for an account. To verify your email, just click on the link, which will take you to ThriftyFun and mark your email as verified. If you don't see the email from us, check your spam folder to see if it went there. You can have another verification email sent from your account settings.

Please send me a message if you need any further help.

Read More Comments...

July 31, 2008 Flag

Use 2 Tbsp. turpentine and 1 small handful of salt. Pour boiling water over this mixture. Put garment or cloth in and saturate. Let it soak until the water gets cold.

By Anne from Fernley, NV

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is the first time I have read this question regarding Turpentine. Will give it a try. Thanks. Will let you know if it truly does work. "Abby Normal", Laundry Queen! lol

This is VERY successful. I used it on Tomato Red Polo shirt which bled EVERY TIME.. even a drop of water made it bleed. Now I can was in cold water with whites and red polo shirt without a care in the world !

Read More Comments...

April 26, 2016 Flag

How do you prepare a color guard product at home? I want to make a product that would prevent the dyes from mixing with water and spreading into other white clothes.

I was told vinegar with glycerin is an ideal combination. Can anybody help?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Salt

August 7, 2015 Flag

I've worn this black knit dress twice. Every time I wear it the dye rubs off, onto nail color, fingers, and skin. Help! It's awful. What can I wash this dress in to prevent this?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Table salt will also set some dyes. If vinegar doesn't work. Don't use both at the same time.

Why?

Read More Answers...

June 11, 2013 Flag

I brought a pair of flannelette sheets, they have been washed twice.
When you sweat at night the dye comes out on your skin. Any idea how to stop it?

By Val S from Deception Bay, Qld

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

In my experience: If you wash the sheets by themselves in hot water setting of your clothes washer and add a cup of vinager to the cycle. Dry them in the hottest dryer setting you have, then it will set the dye in the fabric. Please let us know if it works for you.

There is no need to return the sheets. Do as others have suggested and wash them in hot water with vinegar. I would add several cups, because when people dye things, they use a ratio of at least one cup of vinegar to 8 cups of water. You can also purchase products to set dye where you find fabric dyes. You may have to do the vinegar wash a couple of times.

Read More Answers...

January 30, 2005 Flag

Does anyone know how to stop color bleeding from clothes when washing them. Is there any way to stabilize the colored fabric so it will no longer run? Hoping someone has answer for me and thanks in advance if you do.

Dinnie from Tampa

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi, I have a dress that has 3 colours on it. The base is white and it has one line of red fabric and one line of black fabric across it. The red from the fabric runs and the dress has turned pink. I have tried soaking it in cold water twice for days already but the colour worsens . I've tried most of your advice (ie salt vinegar and cold water treatment) but it has been stained to dark pink! I need help!

By soaking in salt water or vinager will it keep the fabric color from rubbing off on to another color while you are wearing it?

Read More Answers...

October 24, 2013 Flag

I've just bought a red wool and cashmere coat, with a patterned, red polyester lining. I didn't notice the disclaimer label, when I bought it, stating you should not get it moist or damp, avoid contact with light fabrics, upholstery, or accessories. What can I do to prevent it bleeding? I really like the coat.

By Rosemary from Nottingham, UK

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you really like the coat and think its worth it, why not change the lining to a fabric which wont bleed? I know some dry cleaners in the u.k. would do the alteration for you for a fee. if you know how to sew yourself, then just unpick the lining and use it as a pattern.

I would ask a dry cleaner. Perhaps having it dry cleaned could help.

Read More Answers...

April 14, 2013 Flag

I recently bought a red cardigan and when I wore it, it transferred the red dye onto my white t-shirt. I have managed to remove the red dye from the t- shirt, but I am wondering is there a way I can stabilise the dye in the cardigan to prevent it transferring to my other clothing when worn together.

By yvie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Shout colour catchers

Shout colour catchers

Read More Answers...

February 13, 2014 Flag

I'm knitting an afghan for my grandson who's going to Michigan State. The colors are dark green and white. The yarn is 75% acrylic and 25% wool. Is there anything I can do before I give it to him to prevent the dark green from running?

By Betty

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I do this with all my cottons... I think it would work for wool if you take the necessary precautions in drying it. I rinse all my cotton fabrics in cold salt water and then rinse the salt away in cold water then dry in the dryer. My mama did this with all my fabric she used to make my school clothes when I was a little kid. I am allergic to wool so I don't use it but I'm sure you can move from my cold salt rinse to whatever method you use to dry it.

I doubt you have to do anything in particular. With acrylic yarn the color is actually spun into the fabric - I believe it is part of the chemical process (ie they don't make the yarn & then dye it). I've never had a problem with color drift on any man made yarn & I doubt the 25% wool would change that. The mostly acrylic with some wool yarns I've used have generally pretty much acted like 100% acrylic yarns. You could try washing it in cold water with salt or vinegar & then machine drying as always before you give it to him.

Read More Answers...

March 3, 2015 Flag

My daughter bought a material school bag from a surf shop. It is yellow. The problem is that from sweating, the yellow from the straps has come onto her white school shirt. How will I stop the yellow dye from the bag staining her shirt?

By Kat

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Check this out: http://www.joann.com/retayne-color-fixative-solution-4-ounce/2181311.html

and read the reviews! I have not used this product but it sounds like it might work. I have used the old vinegar and salt tricks in the past... worked some time, not so much other times. The kind of fabric matters I think. Good luck!

July 17, 2013 Flag

How do you keep the colour in the shirt when you wash it? Is there something you can spray on it to hold it in the fabric?

By Ellen S

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The first time you wash it, wash in cold water with a cup of salt and a cup of white vinegar. That should set the color.

Also, wash it in cold water; that helps prevent colors running, although sometimes I have found that there is nothing to be done!

Read More Answers...

November 5, 2014 Flag

I received an old sweater that was my grandfather's. It was originally white and his mother dyed it red, I'm sure with some kind of cheap home-dyeing kit, maybe Rit. I washed the sweater because it was dusty and it's bled and bled red dye everywhere. I've read about soaking in salt; does that actually work? Any other tips for setting the dye? I'm willing to do some experimenting. The sweater isn't particularly beautiful or complicated work, so it's more of a sentiment thing. Any help is appreciated!

By CG

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Contact the Rit company for information. i am sure they would have a website. You may be able to find info just by googling "setting dye".

March 10, 2013 Flag

I purchased a few hand, tie-dyed tablecloths in China and they bleed very badly! They were done in a small village. How can I set the dye in such a large pieces of fabric.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Consumer Advice Clothing AdviceFebruary 25, 2013
baby sleeping by grass
Setting Up a Green Nursery
Washing Machine
Cleaning Fabric Dye from Inside a Washer
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🎉
🎄