Pet-Friendly Solution for Roaches

I need a way to rid of roaches. I can't use any sprays because I have my birds to think about and my neighbor's cat. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks from Yellow Tail and Chatter Box and of course Cat.

Linda from Century, FL

I can't remember exact name of product, but it is Max something. There is 12 discs in box, they are black, about 2 to 2 1/2 inches square each. The roaches go into the disc, and take poison back to their nest. I used up one box, putting one disc each in kitchen drawers, in kitchen cabinets, in the four corners of a room. One box was enough for me cause I lived in a small apartment. You may need more than one. Write down somewhere the date you put them out, and replace them about every 3 months. After awhile you won't need to replace them, or won't need to put so many out.

I like in Winter Haven, Fl and we make a 50/50 mix of plaster of paris and corn startch. Came across the recipe in a book called Joey Greens Magic Brands. We are very pleased with the results. Put the mixture in an old soda bottle and sprinkle all areas.

This sounds terrible, but we once lived in an apartment that had gotten infested with roaches before we moved in and we had to fight them ourselves until the landlord finally treated the complex.

I did it this way in order to save money, but it would also save the pets. I accidentally happened upon this solution. Leave out coffee that has been sweetened with sugar and coffee mate. Be sure that the rest of your home is clean, straight and dry before you go to bed.

When you wake up in the morning, it will creep you out to see how many roaches tried out the mixture overnight. Then just dump the cups out and clean them with soap and boiling water. Do the same thing until they are all gone. Sounds nutty, but it works!

Of course, you will need to hide the cups of coffee from the animals, but most pets don't like coffee, and even if they did, it wouldn't hurt them to drink a little during the night. Well except for them being a little wired from the caffeine!

The best product I've found is Combat Platinum Roach Killing Gel. It's safe around pets because you don't have to put it where the pets can get at it (I have 2 small dogs and a cat). It works fantastic! And where I used to have a bad problem with them, I haven't seen one in my home now in several months.

I buy it at Wal-Mart in the household bug repellent section, where you find the Raid spray. I tried those Max roach traps and they don't do a thing. The roaches just walked around them and never went in. Huge waste of money!

My problem is that my cats come in and out and they stay on bug patrol. If they see a bug, they will kill it. I find it dead and sometimes half gone. So I don't want something that might poison them if they bite into a bug. Any suggestions?

May 26, 2011 Flag

This is kind of embarrassing, but we have a roach problem. Is there a quick solution to get rid of them? We spray and get them under control, but we are disabled and by the time we get around to moving out the fridge and stove they have got a hold again.

I know that there are people that have these just like we do, but it is still an embarrassing subject. We are not dirty people, we just can't get rid of them. I have been reading about diatomaceous earth, will this get rid of them? We also have 4 small furbabies in the house. Thank you in advance for your time and kindness and your input. Take care. God bless you and your loved ones.

By ckjb

Raid Fumigators work for me. I use them twice a year like clock work wheather or not I see any (usually don't) and I live in South Texas.

You are not dirty people, but roaches are attracted to paper, crumbs on the counter, dirty dishes, and trash. You didn't say how often you clean, so please don't think I am trying to be insulting. Some of this stuff is not so obvious. To get rid of the roaches and stay rid of them, you have to be scrupulous. Take your trash out, vaccuum, sweep, and/or mop at least every other day. Don't leave any soda cans and things of the sort sitting around your house. Wash your dishes the moment you are done eating off of them. Also, get rid of any newspapers, old magazines, etc. that you are no longer using, as roaches eat paper. If you have recycle bins, you might want to keep those in a garage or other area not attached to your house. Be cautious about applying pesticides in your home.

I manage a mobile home park, and from time to time we run into this problem. We get the gel. It works.

I live in extreme South Georgia,and we got invaded by them when we moved into a home under Live Oak trees. we moved and didn't want to take them with us,so I read everything I could get my hands on,then came up with a drastic solution. Since roaches cannot live without water, we put everything we owned into a metal storage building place that was built on concrete and left it there for a little over a month. It worked.I bought the gel tube for the car, since they had gotten in there, too,and although it was expensive, it worked great.

I am disabled, too, so I know what you mean, but I have found the one trick is keeping food and water away from them. Take the dog's bowls up at night,and empty the water, leave the grate off the front of the fridge for easy access to the drain tray and keep it empty and dry,and unplug any microwaves, TV's, anything of that sort where current provides warm that night. Trim any overhanging tree limbs,clean out flowerbeds right up against the house, anything that could hold moisture.

I lived once where there was only sand around the perimeter of the house, and never saw a roach the whole time. If you cannot afford a storage building, and you have a good size yard,you can put everything out in the sun for a week or two in the summer, dishes, spices, clothes on hangers, everything! I did that once and spread the contents of my kitchen cabinets on a trampoline.

I may live where roaches abound, but I will not live with them! I know these are drastic steps, but your health is at stake!

Dog in Grass
Insect Repellents Safe for Use Around Pets
Home and Garden Pest Control CockroachesOctober 30, 2008
black lab
Home Remedies for Pets
Norelco Razor
Homemade Norelco Razor Cleaning Solution
Dog Urinating Outdoors
Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors
A cat with an empty food dish.
Free Pet Food for Low Income Families