Do You Use Baking Powder With All Purpose Flour?

When a recipe calls for flour, but does not say all-purpose or self-rising, do you have to add baking powder to the recipe when you're just using all-purpose flour?

Donna from North Carolina

All-purpose flour contains no baking powder so you need to add it. Self-rising flour is supposed to contain baking powder but I've never found it to be enough so I always add it, it's never messed up any recipe I've made.

I would think if the recipe calls for flour, that they mean all -purpose flour, and you would add whatever the recipe calls for. Here in Canada the flour of choice is all-purpose. Any recipe from here would mean all-purpose, not self-raising.

I have always used regular flour for baking and if it does not say soda you don't have to worry because it will be fine. I also even if it calls for salt, do not use it when I am baking. It seems to me there is no reason to use it, and everything has turned out perfect. Merry Christmas and do not worry!

Assume that if the recipe only says flour, it means all-purpose. You do NOT add baking soda or baking powder unless the recipe specifically calls for it.

Yes, if the recipe calls for both, then use both. Recipes are written assuming that all-purpose flour will be used. When a different type of flour should be used, it will say so.

All purpse flour also comes bleached and unbleached. Bleached flours can lend an "off" flavor depending on the other ingredients in what you are making.

If the recipe doesn't specify self-rising, then it's presumed that all-purpose flour is being used. In following the recipe, it will call for the required leavening (either yeast, baking powder or baking soda). Don't add baking powder to your flour unless it is called for in the recipe.

Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingDecember 21, 2007
All Purpose Flour
What is All Purpose Flour?
Bread Machine
Recipes Using All Purpose Flour in Bread Machine
Substitution for Baking Powder
Substitution for Baking Powder
Two bare feet.
Homemade Foot Powder
🎉
🎄