Protecting Wool Clothing From Moths

By Maggie 18 4

My husband has a closet full of really nice wool suits for work, that he keeps in the closet all year round. The problem is, he insists on using the old fashioned method of moth balls in the closet to keep moths away. I can't stand the smell, and he insists it's the only way. Can anyone suggest an alternative method to keeping the moths from chewing those little holes in wool?

Maggie from VA

Showing: Answers Sort

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

cedar wood blocks or closet liners. if nothing else, put a bag of cedar chips used for pet cages in the bottom of the closet. cedar was used long before chemical moth balls.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jeanne Clark 3 Flag

Maggie

My family always used a cedar chest to store wool items. Another thing that is out there are cedar blocks. Different places sell them, do a search. I think my grandmother used to get them from Walter Drake catalogs and ones similar to that. You hang them in the closet near your wool items. Some people with money go crazy & line whole closets with cedar paneling. Moths don't like cedar. I love the smell of cedar wood, & it sure beats the moth ball smell!

Jeannelee

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By S Cronmiller 21 Flag

My Mom was a traditionalist as well. Since we lived in New England and she worked "downtown" she had many woolen items to protect.

My Dad lined one of the smaller closets in a spare bedroom with tounge and groove cedar and weather stripped the door. It worked well for years and later when the "cedar scent" needed to be refreshed, he gave the entire closet a light sanding.

Lining the closet wasn't that difficult, although there was a fair amount of cutting and fitting. The cedar boards were fairly thin.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

KEEPING IT IN A CEDAR CLOSET OR CHEST OR HAVING THE DRY CLEANERS BAG IT WITH CEDAR CHIPS.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Get a little cloth bag, and put some cinnamon in it. Then get some cotton wool, and soak it in lavendar oil. It smells nice AND it keeps the moths away!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I read somewhere that moths don't like the smell of soap. Try shaving some fresh soap in sachet packets and hang it in your closet. When the scent is gone, use it in your laundry or whatever needs cleaning.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Home and Garden Pest Control MothsAugust 8, 2006
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Indianmeal moth
Getting Rid of Pantry Moths
Man With Fresh Stain on Shirt
Preventing Stains on Clothing
An up close photo of a moth.
Getting Rid of Moths
Wool Sweater
Removing Stains From Wool Clothing
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 10, 2016 at 8:10:32 AM on 10.0.1.112 in 612 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings