Protecting Wool Clothing From Moths

My husband has a closet full of really nice wool suits for work, that he keeps in the closet all year round. The problem is, he insists on using the old fashioned method of moth balls in the closet to keep moths away. I can't stand the smell, and he insists it's the only way. Can anyone suggest an alternative method to keeping the moths from chewing those little holes in wool?

Maggie from VA

cedar wood blocks or closet liners. if nothing else, put a bag of cedar chips used for pet cages in the bottom of the closet. cedar was used long before chemical moth balls.

Maggie

My family always used a cedar chest to store wool items. Another thing that is out there are cedar blocks. Different places sell them, do a search. I think my grandmother used to get them from Walter Drake catalogs and ones similar to that. You hang them in the closet near your wool items. Some people with money go crazy & line whole closets with cedar paneling. Moths don't like cedar. I love the smell of cedar wood, & it sure beats the moth ball smell!

Jeannelee

My Mom was a traditionalist as well. Since we lived in New England and she worked "downtown" she had many woolen items to protect.

My Dad lined one of the smaller closets in a spare bedroom with tounge and groove cedar and weather stripped the door. It worked well for years and later when the "cedar scent" needed to be refreshed, he gave the entire closet a light sanding.

Lining the closet wasn't that difficult, although there was a fair amount of cutting and fitting. The cedar boards were fairly thin.

KEEPING IT IN A CEDAR CLOSET OR CHEST OR HAVING THE DRY CLEANERS BAG IT WITH CEDAR CHIPS.

Get a little cloth bag, and put some cinnamon in it. Then get some cotton wool, and soak it in lavendar oil. It smells nice AND it keeps the moths away!

I read somewhere that moths don't like the smell of soap. Try shaving some fresh soap in sachet packets and hang it in your closet. When the scent is gone, use it in your laundry or whatever needs cleaning.

Home and Garden Pest Control MothsAugust 8, 2006
An up close photo of a moth.
Getting Rid of Moths
Wool Sweater
Removing Stains From Wool Clothing
Decorating with Area Rugs, Cleaning a Wool Area Rug, Wool area rug on a living room floor.
Cleaning a Wool Area Rug
Knitted Sweaters
Stretching Shrunken Wool Garments
🎄