Poem:"Through the Eyes of a Survivor"

Through the Eyes of a Survivor

How dare it happen to me?

How can I wake up, thinking I'm home

When there is no home?

How can I remember every little treasure,

Every picture, every nuance

When it's like it never existed?

It was a moment ago.

It was a lifetime ago.

It must be someone else.

It can't have happened to me.

How dare the stars shine, still in their same places

When nothing in my life is the same?

How dare the sun rise?

I want to be in the dark

So I can't see

And I can make believe it's all still here.

How dare it happen to me?

~dp 2005

By Doggy

Editor's Note: I checked up on DP to make sure that she safe after the hurricanes. She said she is fine and figures that it was inspired from seeing all of those that lost so much.

Thank you for sharing your beautiful poem.

My sister owned a camp in Holly Beach, LA., and it was completely wiped out by Hurricane Rita. Your poem will truly touch her heart, as well as mine. We had to completely gut the inside of my home after Hurricane Andrew. Our roof was completely torn off.

Your poem just says it all.

Again, Thanks for helping with the healing process. through your beautiful poem.

Mom70582: Thank you for your kind words. I'm so sorry for what you and your sister have gone through, and for what you are both facing. You both will be in my prayers. Although I was spared by these last two disasters, I have faced other challenges, and I can promise you that time will heal your wounds and your heartbreak. I hope that through my poem, you, and other survivors might feel less alone. Know that you are in many hearts. xox, Doggy U*u*U

Our family lives in Maurice, LA and we lost our home to a tornado caused by Hurricane Rita. There are so many people that have been affected worse than us with water in their home. At least the water in our home was rain and not salt water and mud. We keep thinking we'll wake up and have our lives normal again. We're going to dust ourselves off and rebuild and keep a good attitude, like our Cajun ancestors taught us to do.

Home and Garden EmergencyOctober 7, 2005
Daddy's Changing Diaper
Daddy's Diaper Dooty Poem
Pink baby footprint.
Craft Ideas Using Baby Footprints