Campfire Foil Packets

My husband used to have his campers make these foil packets when he was a camp director. Now we make these when camping with the kids. It's a favorite; so easy to make and healthy too, which is good considering this is usually followed by s'mores for dessert.

• 2 potatoes
  • 1 lb. hamburger (I use ground turkey)
  • 1-2 cans cream of mushroom soup (I use Campbell's Healthy Request)
  • 2 cups frozen mixed veggies, defrosted in cooler
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Cut the potatoes into 1-2 inch cubes and place on a foil square. Fold sides in to make a foil packet. Place on fire to pre-cook potatoes until soft. My husband didn't used to do this at camp, but I think the potatoes are too crunchy if you don't.

Once potatoes are soft, start an assembly line with the remaining ingredients. Start with 4-6 foil squares (big enough to make a packet). Spread on a thin layer of condensed cream of mushroom soup; this keeps the remaining ingredients from sticking to the foil. Layer raw ground meat, potatoes, vegetables, shredded cheese, and more soup.

Fold foil into packets, and place on or in fire.

Dinner will be ready in about 20-30 minutes. Eat straight from the foil or transfer onto a plate.

Save any leftover potatoes to scramble in with campfire eggs and sausage in the morning.

Servings: 4-6
Time:5 Minutes Preparation Time
40 Minutes Cooking Time

By cs_jag from Hillsboro, OR

We used to have these meals which we called "Hobo Meals" and we put a hamburger patty and a potato and a couple of carrots and onions into these foil packages and cooked them in the oven. Oh my these are so delicious!

Cooking over a Campfire
Cooking over a Campfire
Travel and Recreation Recreation Camping RecipesAugust 26, 2010
pan lined with foil
Lining a Pan With Aluminum Foil
Campfire Cones
Making Campfire Cones
Southwestern Chicken Breasts
Foil Packet Recipes
Package of Ramen Noodles
Uses for Ramen Seasoning Packets