Browsing: 5 Year Old Having Accidents

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

5 Year Old Having Accidents

Occasionally an older child will suddenly begin to have accidents. Determining the cause is critical to helping the child change this behavior. This is a guide about 5 year old having accidents.

5 year old boy with his hands in the air.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 13, 2008 Flag

I seem to be having a sudden problem with my 5 year old moving her bowels in her pants. When asked why she does this she says she isn't getting there in time or she was playing and didn't stop. We have tried taking things away from her, putting her to bed, time outs, no tv but nothing seems to be working. It just doesn't seem to bother her. I am so frustrated and embarrassed as she is doing this in public. What can I do please give me some ideas.

Debbie from Berwick ME

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I took my daughter to the doctors like every one said, and the determination was that she has very sensitive bowels and to watch the whole grains and fruit we give her. Do not give her both at one time or to much in any giving day. Other then that they said everything was ok. So know if she has fruit in the morning we don't give her whole grains too or if she has bread or wheat crackers for lunch or dinner we don't give her fruit. So far so good no more accidents. Thank You all for your suggestions

I am going through the same thing with my son, part of it is a power trip with him, he is learning his own body and controlling the urge to go is one thing that he over-controlled, to the point where instead of going every day he was going every other day or every two days and got very backed up, and very stinky.

The way the pediatrician explained it was that he basically stretched his colon from holding his poo so much and with that he desensitized the nerve endings and weakened his sphincter muscle. He is currently on 1 tsp of miralax/day, 1 tsp of benefiber, and .5 mL of little tummies laxative. This keeps him going every day.

The point of the treatment is to basically keep the bowels moving so that the colon starts to shrink back to where it is supposed to be. It's been about 3 months and although the accidents have decreased dramatically there are still occasions when it still occurs. Good Luck!

Hi, I hear all of you here on this problem, my son was that way at age 5, we took him to doctor, they said if he was my kid, I'd take him to Childrens Hospital. Well that scared us to death, but we done just that, went there and had to find out that he had a impaction. Crazy we had to go so far to find this out, but we did, we ended up getting this liquid stuff that looked like tar. I'm having problem with the name right now. It's been 28 yrs ago, we put this in his drinks, & guess what? He was so much better after that, just keep them from getting all packed inside, this stuff really did work, maybe someone on here knows the name of this, its black like tar. Hope this helps you all out here with your little one.

My 6 yr old son is still having bowel movements in his pants on a daily basis and today he did it at school so of course I had to pick him up and then while wearing pullups he did it two more times. We have taken him to a therapist who said we just need to be consistent and start a structured schedule with him (how do you do that when he is in school) and we have taken him to the Dr. at least 4 times now for the same reason, we have had him tested, he is not constipated but when he does it its like he doesn't care, it doesn't seem to bother him at all.

I am going to try some of the suggestions like making him clean his soiled clothes and himself and try not to make a big deal about it . We have even taken sports away from him because of this. Anybody got anymore suggestions. Please help.

Read More Answers...

July 23, 2009 Flag

My son just turned 5 yrs. old. He's been potty trained since he was 2 1/2 but just recently for about 3 or 4 months he's been going in his pants. Is something wrong with him? Should I take him to the doctor? Why do you think he's doing this? Could it be that he is too lazy to go to the bathroom? Please help.

By prov31woman08 from Denver, CO

For some reason maybe your child is seeking attention. How is the home relationship? Does he get as much attention as other children? Or he could have a medical situation needing to be addressed. Or It could just be a stage or Many other numerous things. I would try this, Try rewarding him for going to the bathroom. Like a dollar or something that might catch his eye. It may make wonders then tell him Big boys go to the bathroom in the toliet. If he still doesn't do that. Talk to him. A little talking can do wonders.

I have read the responses that have posted to this point, and agree with parts of all of them. The only thing that I think each one of them came close to, but just didn't actually mention. Are there times when your child is alone with a person that he was not alone with before? Do not, I beg you, rule out any form of abuse, as in sexual. I was abused by a step grandfather who died when I was 10. It was years later before I could tell my mom, (not her step father, by the way), because I knew she would have to tell my dad, and I felt he would believe his step dad, not me. I am nearly 71 now, so you have an idea of the way things have changed since then, but do all you can to see if there has been improper touching, or worse. A 5 year old does not know it as being "bad".

First I would take him to the doctors and make sure everything is okay. Then has something changed in his life. Also if he is fixing to start school in the fall this could do it, AS a preschool teacher I have seen this happen and I have seen 5 year olds get very clingy to mom also just before school starts.

Look for something causing him great anxiety. Might be something obvious but it could be something you don't even know about. I'm a teacher and this is usually what it means. Don't let this go until you know what it is. Don't mean to scare you but, you just never know.

Read More Answers...
Parenting General Parenting AdviceJuly 31, 2013
Stainless steel pan.
Cleaning Melted Plastic Off a Pan
Losing Weight After Having a Baby, Woman in Red Coat Walking Her Baby Stroller in the Park
Losing Weight After Having a Baby
13 year old gift ideas
Gift Ideas for a 13 Year Old Girl
Ring of old keys.
Uses for Old Keys
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 5:07:50 PM on 10.0.1.53 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.