Birthday Party Games

I am having a party for my daughter this weekend, she will be ten. I rented a hall, but I don't really have any good games to play. Any ideas?

By Tina from Cleveland, OH

Allowing organized time for each: musical chairs, sock hop to favorite music, hula hoop to music contest, pea on plastic spoon pass to each other, who can blow up the most balloons in so many minutes.

Popular CD games are the hunt and find items mixed in with a lot of other items. Have a child look for a certain item without touching any of them within a certain amount of time. The one who finds an object sooner in the menagerie gets a prize.

You might find a book full of party ideas at the library or in their magazines.

I made this game up for my granddaughters 6 and 10 who were sharing their party. I bought a package of fake paper money at the dollar store and while the children were busy trying to break the pinata I crumbled them up so the denominations could not be seen and scattered the bills all around the yard.

After the children had their goodie bags from the pinata I lined them up and explained that they were to collect as many of the paper bills as quickly as they could until I called stop (could blow a whistle) I then counted how much " money" each had found by the denominations of the bills. The one with the most money had the first pick in a bag of prizes.

The kids, both boys and girls loved the game and each were able to get a prize. The caveat was they were told they could trade their prizes with each other. The children were from 6 years to 12 years and were all equally able to win.

Minute to win it games are always fun! Like cookie face or cup stacking. Just dance is a good one too!

January 10, 2012 Flag

My 12 year old daughter is having a sleepover for her birthday. She will have 3 close friends staying, but is stuck on ideas for games. Do you have any ideas?

By Georgia from Auckland, NZL

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Only three guests? This is a piece of cake.

Twister, Monopoly, Scrabble, one of those music or TV trivia games and if you have the machine a Rock Player, or Rock Singer video game.

Popcorn, Pillsbury Strudels, soda.

Sleeping bags, a fire (glow) light and some flashlights.

November 5, 2009 Flag

I need ideas for party games for my son's 6th birthday party in May. We own a campground, so I would like to have a weenie roast and make s'mores, etc. There would probably be about 16-18 kids. Everyone in his class that has had a party has invited the entire class. I could get 2 or 3 teens and 10 and 11 year olds to help.

We don't have a pool (just ponds). The kids could ride pedal carts or paddle boats. We have a game room, but I don't think I want the kids spending their time in there. Perhaps a scavenger hunt? I could get a clown. Perhaps a bouncy castle? Don't want to go too extravagant. Thanks for help.

Sandy from Stoughton, WI

Birthday Party Games

How about some of the old fashioned games that people use to play at picnics. Have a sack race. Do you have a theme for this party? Since you want to roast hot dogs and s'mores why not have an egg and spoon race and for 6 year olds why not a pinata? Hope he has a wonderful birthday and remember they will remember the fun more than any "fancy" entertainment you provide. (02/16/2007)

By Debra in CO

Birthday Party Games

These come to mind: a nature scavenger hunt for things like a straight stick, the crookedest stick, a bird feather, a 4 leaf clover, a live worm, a tadpole (live) or the like. A water balloon toss game is fun, offer a prize after for the kid who picks up the most broken balloon pieces, too. How about potting some plants or cuttings as a favor. They could decorate flowerpots as a craft. Stick with an outdoor and nature theme, or an ecology theme to make use of the campground. How about a sing-a-long, maybe skits? (02/16/2007)

Birthday Party Games

I used to be a girl scout leader and a great outdoors game is Mr. Bear. Someone acts like he is a bear in hibernation and the kids sneak up on him whispering "Are you sleeping Mr. Bear?". The closer they get the louder they get until they wake up Mr. Bear and he chases them. Whoever he tags becomes his cub and has to help him tag all the other kids until everyone is tagged. He and his cubs go back to the cave over and over until everyone is caught. The kids take turns being Mr.Bear. It gets very loud and they need plenty of room to run. Young kids really enjoy it. (02/18/2007)

By marilynupright

February 15, 2007 Flag

What are some popular 13 year olds birthday party games?

Emma from NZ

True or False

My daughters friends always enjoy playing this game. Each friend has to list 3 things about themselves. 2 are true and one is false. The other guests have to choose which one is the false one. It is a fun way to learn about eachother, be creative and have many laughs. Good luck. (08/30/2006)

Musical Clothes

Play the game called "Musical Clothes". My daughter had a Backwards party and we played this game... the girls said it was the best party and fun they ever had.

The game is played like musical chairs except instead of walking around chairs, you pass a HUGE bag filled with all sorts of WEIRD, BIG, SMALL clothing items, you can even include shoes. When the music stops the person stuck holding the bag must quickly grab something out of the bag without looking in the bag and in 10 seconds put it on... even if they don't know where the is worn or what it is.

WE had a blast! The girls NEVER saw what was in the bag, but was explained that no matter WHAT ITEM they pull out they MUST put the item on in 10 seconds as long as it was on a part of their body it was fine. (12/07/2006)

August 24, 2006 Flag

I already have theme for my 11th b-day party but I need to know some FUN party games to do once we get home from the murder mystery restaurant we are going to. If you have any ideas that go with the theme that would be great but I'm open to all suggestions.

Sarah from GA

Party games are crucial and need to involve everyone so no one gets left out. Guesstures is a fun ice breaker game for every type of crowd. It's a lotalot like charades. Or you could have a scavenger hunt (always a hit). I hope this helped, good luck! (05/12/2005)

By Amy

Card Game With Gifts

I have a game that is good for any occasion, birthdays, showers, etc. Go to the dollar store and buy five or six inexpensive gifts appropriate for the occasion and one gag gift. Wrap them all up and set them in the middle of a table or a pile on the floor.

Have everyone sit in a circle around the gifts. You will need two decks of playing cards. Deal one deck one at a time to the people sitting around the gifts, it's okay if some get more cards.

You take the second deck of cards and start calling the cards out. For example the first card is the J of Diamonds, the person sitting around the gifts with the Jack goes to the pile of gifts, sets the card down and takes one of the gifts. DON'T OPEN IT.

Keep calling the cards, when all of the gifts are gone the next card you call, the person who has that card takes one of the gifts from anyone who already has one, this goes on till you have called all of the cards and whoever has gifts can now open them.

Someone might end up with 2 or 3 gifts depending on the cards they have. This is a lot of fun at a bridal shower lots of women, lots of laughter. The one I had I wrapped up a roll of toilet paper as the gag gift, it was the biggest one so of course everyone want to "steal" that gift.

For a thirteen year old, if it's a girl, you could get stuff like lip gloss, scented candles, the dollars stores have cool jewelry, etc. This game can go as fast or as slow as you want, let the kids have fun. (10/17/2005)

Birthday Party Games

I like to have a variety of games and a prize or two for the winners. For prizes, I go to the dollar store and grab things that make cute prizes like scented soap with a sponge, mini-photo albums, stationary ,chocolate candies, girly items wrapped in pink and for boys I'd wrap in a blue candy, mini basketball with over trash basket, water guns, humor prank toys and for some reason they love and find funny is the giant calculator.

For Games: It's a tradition for me to make a crossword game which you can personalize and print out online for free at mycrosswordmaker or The category would be about the birthday boy or girl. For example, I would ask what is Mikayla's Grandfather's nick name? The people who know her best would have the advantage of winning or the fastest people to go around and ask, which is a fun way for people to meet and mingle the family members.

Then I'd have other games like I would draw a treasure map (I like to go all out by drawing out the property lot with directions on how to go about N, E, S, W and number of steps... Then I crumble, and IRON the map to create an old look with little browning and burn holes! For the treasure they're looking for I use a small item like a little locket with my daughter's picture in it.

I also like to play charades. Freeze dance is also fun. Then some games that are simple like throw the ping-pong ball on the basket or if it is a babyshower throw diaper in trash which female seem 2 score more then men!

Blindfold dress-up. Where you can't see what you are putting on and how. This is fun for boys and girls.

All these games can be played without having to really purchase anything other than the prizes. The more creative you get with games the more fun they are.

Well Hope You Enjoy! (10/18/2005)

By mcgyver408

Broom Dance

A good ice breaker for those too shy to start a dance is the "Broom Dance." Your child has to be willing to start it. Here's how it goes: Announce the rules to the game before you begin the music. Start the music, your child dances with the broom first (it could be for one second only); then your child asks one of her guests to dance and passes the broom to a guest of her choice. That guest has to dance with the broom for as long as he or she wants then chooses another guest to dance and passes the broom. This will get everyone dancing faster then you could ever believe. The last one with the broom gets a prize. (10/27/2005)

By Joanne

Find the Bubble Gum

A good game is to take a couple plates and fill them with whipcream. Then put a piece of bubble gum in the middle without using your hands the players will have to stick their face in the plate and find the bubble gum. Whoever finds the gum first and blows a bubble wins a prize. But, to twist it around a bit but a jelly bean or straburst in the whipcream too so it will make it harder! have fun (03/10/2006)

By Cheyenne

I have some games for you.

Some fun ones are:

Well that is all that I have and I hope that I have helped you, you can use this for a guy or girls party (07/21/2006)

By Rach

Holidays and Parties Parties GamesNovember 5, 2009
Safari Theme Birthday
Safari Theme Birthday Party Ideas
Saving Money on Video Games
Saving Money on Video Games
Woman playing Wii
Saving Money on Wii Games
Hosting a March Madness Party, Basketball Going Through Hoop
Hosting a March Madness Party