Organizing Your Bathroom Counter

Category Bathroom
Bathroom counters are prone to being filled with various products. It can be difficult to find a way to organize these things in manner that makes the products you use daily easily accessible, and also keeps the area to looking tidy. This is a guide about organizing your bathroom counter.

Because we have a couple of our adult children living at home, I find there are too many different bars of soap lying around the bathroom. To keep them tidy and also to give a pretty look to the room I found a way to organize the sudsy mess!

I simply used a country looking container (I like enamelware, so I used a small enamelware piece, you could use a decorative square or rectangle "plate" or a pretty glass piece that you want to display, pewter, etc.) I laid pretty river rocks on the bottom (the bigger ones) on the bottom of the enamelware, and lined the soaps on top of the rocks. They are great for keeping the soap dry and look so nice!

By Joynchocolate from Landisville, PA

Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

I had an extra silverware holder so I put it in the bathroom to organize things laying all over the sink.

By Coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

I just found a shelf idea here tonight and this would work right with that. Good idea.

Individual items don't look like clutter if they are gathered on a tray or in a basket. Look around your home to see what you can find to use for that purpose. You may decide to include a candle or ribbon to dress it up a bit.

Years ago people often had a tray on their dresser to hold their comb and brush. Often the tray included a mirror. Perfume bottles were somtimes included as well. Maybe you will find a mirror or glass filled picture frame to use in your bathroom.

Don't be afraid to try new things!

By Carol from Wyoming, PA

I still use one of the old chrome and metal mirrored bottom trays with chrome pipe sides. They are easy to clean and all the bottles, tubes and such are contained in a small area.

I have a small bathroom with limited space on the countertop. I have a cabinet under the sink but no drawers. Any ideas on how I can organize my things? My counter is cluttered with toothpaste, floss, combs, mouthwash, etc.

I have discovered shelves that go over the back part of the counter. Over the sink more or less. It is called a space saver. I have one in each restroom and over my kitchen sink as well.

I bought a small cabinet from K Mart and it has 3 shelves. Works great for handtowels and washcloths. I put a basket on top for meds, toothpaste, etc.

Also if you have room to hang a shelf on the wall for toothpaste and personals, that would work great too.""

Can you possibly build any partial shelves inside the cabinet? They may have to just run down the side if the pipes are in the way of one running all the way accross. Then you could get a couple baskets or plastic containers and group things like toothpaste and face wash in one, hair stuff in another. I also use a small vase for my "long" make up stuff - mascarra, lip and eye liners, brushes, tall lipgloss, etc. which I do sit on the counter. My other make up is in a nice case that color coordinates with the bathroom.

First go to Lowes or Home Depot for under the counter space savers. Very inexpensive and no tools/drilling required! Secondly I find that Mason Jars can be used for anything. You can get them at Wal*Mart for near nothing and decorate them up yourself w/ ribbons..etc. You could even look at yard sales for old ones w/ different hues.

I bought two plastic drawers and placed one on each side of the pipes beneath the sink. This creates a shelf on the top of the units. I can slide out the drawers to put items inside. It really works for me.

good luck

RE: Organizing a Bathroom Countertop

Post By Jonnie Cambron (Guest Post) (02/04/2007)

Sounds like a "train case" to me.

I hear a lot of suggestions to "buy" a solution. If you are like me and are trying your hand at less consumerism at big box stores, try repurposing something. I often have a lot of plastic kitchen storage containers that no longer seem to have their lids. These work great to hold small bathroom items under the cabinet or on shelves. I use a tea mug in the bathroom for toothpaste tubes, a bud vase for our toothbrushes and an old creamer for the hand mirror. We found an interesting (like-new) small shelf unit at a rummage sale for $2.00. I use an old basket that I had for the back of the toilet to put combs, powder, creams, etc in. They stay neat and organized this way and I can quickly access what I need in the morning. I hope I have stimulated your creativity to reduce, reuse, recycle things that you may already have to solve your organizational needs.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I have a tip for those of us that still like to do dishes by hand. I was tired of looking at the bottle of dish soap on my sink, so I decides to get a cute pickle dish with 3 sections at the dollar store and place my sink items I use every day in it. I also got a lemon squirt bottle for my dish soap. That way you don't waste as much and no big bottle at your sink. You can use ketchup/mustard any refillable smaller bottle.

I know I could put it under my sink, but, with everyone using the sink, it's easier for us. I hope some one can use this idea!

By diva53d from Foymount, Ontario

Creative Sink Storage Ideas

Comment Like this photo? 47

I like it! I think I'll go buy one from Dollar Tree and spray paint it oil rubbed bronze just to jazz it up. Thanks for the tip!

Reply Like this photo? Yes