Middle School Dance Theme Ideas

Category Dance Themes
This guide is about middle school dance theme ideas. When planning a school dance, you want to choice a theme that is fun, easy and inexpensive to decorate for.

I need some ideas for a May 4th 6th-8th grade dance theme. I don't want Cinco de Mayo. Also, what could we incorprate into the dance?

Nikki from Sacramento

Best Answer

Well myself being an 8th grader, we had a dance this past Saturday night. We did a dancing with the stars theme and it looked really cool so try it and see how cool it looks. But we did not all have dates but we still had a great time with friends and waited for a guy to ask us to dance. None of my friends nor me got asked but we had a blast as just friends.

Best Answer

We have had quite a few dances and the best one so far has been the 80's dance parent were dressed up and kids and everyone listened to the music from that time too. Another good dance theme was our favorite movie characters. but make sure you got a good dj otherwise it'll suck, trust me! And the other thing is you'll have some people bringing it down but try to include them in whatever even if it means dancing with people you don't know or like it is cool to meet new people anyway!

Best Answer

Well A rock and roll theme is great and that ways boys and girls go...plus its inexpensive cuz all u need is a dj, a teacher who will go around with a camera, some cheap possibly home-made decorations and food and drinks...ok maybe it could be a little pricey, but its totally worth it...and that way all the popular girls wont know how to dance to rock so it might let others show off their moves...oh yea

Best Answer

I own and operate my own DJ biz and I do a lot of school dances, I buy cheap beach balls and throw them into the crowd as the kids are dancing, It's fun to see how long they will stay in the air. I also throw out about 150 glow bracelets into the crowd (not all at once of course) the kids love the glow bracelets and they are cheaper than the glow necklaces. I try to find the beach balls in the school colors!

At my old school in Silverton, OR we had so much fun. we had a DJ we had NO parents. but we did have the teachers. We could do what ever we want. We could get our pix taken with all our friends. Now I'm at a school that can't even afford a DJ it's so stupid.

We are having a valentines dances and we are thinking of ideas but we might do a blackout dance with only a little bit of light, or have a Chocolate Fountain! O ya baby!

My school did a neon dance! Incredibly fun!

For my 8th grade dance next year we are having a black and white theme and this years is a night in Paris.

We are having a dance at my school on May 4th. I am chairperson of this dance and that date is my birthday. I want this dance to be the most fun yet. It is 6th-8th grade dance. I don't want a Cinco de Mayo theme or a formal. Does anyone have any good ideas?

Nikki from Sacramento, CA

Answers:

Dance Theme Ideas

Just a two suggestions for your dance:

1. luau type theme
  2. blast from the past (sock hop, 50s, 60s, 70s, or 80s, etc.)

Hope this helps some. Have fun and enjoy yourself.
(04/12/2007)

By Darlene

Dance Theme Ideas

I am having a Grecian themed party for my 15 year old son in one week. Everyone, with proper undergarments, will wear a sheet, we will have columns placed randomly, finger food, soda, and water. I have collected prizes for the best toga, a dance contest and things like that. I asked the teens what they wanted to do and that ensures that all will have fun. (04/13/2007)

By airmom

Dance Theme Ideas

I was thinking maybe a "What I Want to be When I Grow Up" dance. You could come as a teacher or doctor or any profession, and make it fun too. If someone wants to be a lawyer, they could carry a briefcase and "talk on their cell phone". A doctor could go around diagnosing everyone. You could ask the chaperons (do they still have them?) to dress as the profession that they wanted to be when they were your age. You could have fun with this, I think. Anyway have a great party.

Heather

(04/13/2007)

By CHEAPERTHANCHEAP

Dance Theme Ideas

Since "Dancing with the Stars" is big right now that could be the name. And fill the room with twinkle lights (white Christmas lights) all over the ceiling, etc. You could also make big elaborate stars to hang everywhere. This could really help keep it simple and affordable. (04/14/2007)

By Sarah

Dance Theme Ideas

My son's church just did a dance for the youth with the theme of Super Heroes. They decorated the room with different super heroes and kids came dressed as their favorite one. (04/16/2007)

By threegetts

Dance Theme Ideas

Dances are extremely fun, even more so when they can be really pretty. A great theme is "Starry Starry Night" or "A Night on the Town", or "The City at Midnight", (only without all the creepy characters like muggers). All of the focus is mainly the same. Lots of stars around and black and blue streamers, white Christmas lights and twinklie (once again not a word, but I'm almost done) things. The planning board (or at my school it's student council ) can make small buildings with lights and bridges and stuff out of cardboard, paint them black with white and yellow windows. It's extremely easy to make, just takes a bit of extra time. (06/27/2007)

By Withheld

Dance Theme Ideas

Starry Night was used a lot this year, but I think fire and ice colors would be cool. I hope that helps a lot. (12/21/2007)

By Jamie

Dance Theme Ideas

Have an "school name" Idol theme dance. Students enter, ask them if they'd like to fill out a ballot to sing in front of everyone like they would on American or Canadian idol. On the hour, one person preforms and then 3 representatives from student council could be Simon, Randi, and Paula. They get judged. At the end there can be a prize for the "school name" Idol. Cool decorations and stuff all around and an autograph table at the end for the participating people. It'd be a cool night. (02/04/2008)

By jaypraught

Dance Theme Ideas

(02/27/2008)

By Susie

Dance Theme Ideas

My school had a Black Out Party and it was so much fun. We did all Black streamers, balloons, and we even blacked out the windows. And in the middle we had one Gold panther (our school mascot.) (04/18/2008)

By Hannah

Dance Theme Ideas

I live in Australia and I have a dance coming up in May sometime, our theme is "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie". But these themes are great. I'll let you know how it goes.

1. Gender swap (man, I love this one)
  2. Emos and Barbies
  3. Superheroes and Villains
  4. Nerds and Jocks
  5. Rockstars
  6. Old School
  7. Bring back the 80s
  8. The Haunted Mansion (people can dress up as ghosts and zombies and all that)
  9. The Future
  10. Greasers (like the people off the musical Grease)

Our school has done all these and I have been to every single one of them, and I have to tell you they are all great fun. I recommend all of them. (04/29/2008)

By Linden L.

Dance Theme Ideas

A good idea for junior high dances is to have a member of the high school student council be your DJ and have a computer hooked up to speakers. Let kids request songs and play edited versions off You Tube. It works great because everyone gets to dance to their favorite songs. (05/06/2008)

By metoknow

Dance Theme Ideas

Well, we have church dances and here are some themes we do:

Or you could do school colors, look online for random holidays, and country themes like France, Cuba, Canada, etc. I hope I could be of some help. (06/20/2008)

By Olivia B.

Dance Theme Ideas

We did the Olympic theme last year and it was amazing. All the kids came dressed in their favorite sport attire. We even had the principle run into the school to the theme music with a torch to light the fire and start the dance. We had pictures and info of previous and current Olympiads all around for decorations. The Olympic training center in Colorado Springs lent us some wonderful banners and great giveaways. One of our best events yet. (09/24/2008)

By Heather

Dance Theme Ideas

(12/02/2008)

By Stephen

Dance Theme Ideas

Cinco De Mayo (Spanish for fifth of May).

Have a fiesta. (12/09/2008)

By Erin L.

Dance Theme Ideas

Well our school has done:

(02/14/2009)

By Ryan

Dance Theme Ideas

We did:

(03/30/2009)

By toadroxx_98

I need some ideas for a May 4th 6th-8th grade dance theme. I don't want Cinco de Mayo. Also, what could we incorporate into the dance?

Nikki from Sacramento

Answers:

Middle School Dance Ideas

I am in 7th grade and I am on the dance committees every year and last year we had a halloween theme, winter wonderland, glow in the dark, and are next dance is a club luau theme for a luau theme i suggest you get a venue next to the ocean or bay thats what we are doing! well good luck and have fun! (09/20/2007)

By karina

Middle School Dance Ideas

The only good dances (I find) are the mystery match ups. But it has to be with people in your class or classes that you share. If it's somebody you don't know chances are you won't have as much fun. (09/30/2007)

By kyra

Middle School Dance Ideas

How about a Sadie Hawkins dance where the girls ask the guys and give out cool prizes. (10/05/2007)

By AMANDA

Middle School Dance Ideas

Frankly middle school dances should not be theme. Middle school kids just like to dance around with each other. I'm on a student council and we have learned that if you try to theme dances then it is pointless. We did a St. Patricks day theme and made everyone wear green. It was really stupid and the whole place looked like something a lawnmower had coughed up.

Games, well kids would rather be dancing then be participating in planned activities, that adults decide on. If you really want to, raffle off some candy or something every now and then, or what you could do is have somebody walking around with a camera taking pictures of people, and then every now and then pull down a screen and show some of the best pictures from the bunch.
- The coolest Sevy ever! (11/21/2007)

By Sevy

Middle School Dance Ideas

At my school we don't even have a DJ they play music off a boombox hooked up to a speaker... sad I know! Most of the populars dance with the opposite gender, everyone else usually dances in groups with their friends. Some of the dances are so gross and the school really doesn't do much to 'monitor' the music the student council plays...and the chaperones do nothing! A good theme is a semi-formal Valentines dance, we had one of those last year in 7th grade and it was FUN! (11/29/2007)

By ema

Middle School Dance Ideas

for a Christmas dance my school is having a red and green dance. Where everything is RED AND GREEN and you wear red and green...oooh yea! (12/07/2007)

By

Middle School Dance Ideas

Maybe you should just have like a summer dance with a Mexican theme. (12/20/2007)

By twinkie.

Middle School Dance Ideas

My School Is Having A 9th Grade Dance And A Good Idea
That I Might Suggest To The Community Is A Black & White Masquerade Ball Or Maybe A Fairy Tale Theme. Hope That Helps (01/16/2008)

By Cori Johnson

Middle School Dance Ideas

Seeing that I am in middle school myself, alot of people like just to be casual. But for those few who like themes, black and white is always interesting. And Hawaiian and like Masquerade is always fun. But the only problem with Masquerade is that it would have to be formal. But the Hawaiin can definitely be casual and so can black and white. But most of us just like to dance . So if you go to a formal, make sure to wear something flexible so that you can move AND breathe in! (01/23/2008)

By Alyssa

Middle School Dance Ideas

I'm a professional mobile DJ and advise you to get a great one. If your are looking forward to get a DJ for the dance, pick one that will interact with the kids for a low price. Contest and games work great as long as you keep everyone involved and keep the music going. (02/02/2008)

By Terrence DJ T

Middle School Dance Ideas

Well our Valentine's Dance is coming on Valentines day and it probably is going to sck lik all of our othr dances. There is a DJ, a TON of chaperons just watching us and waiting to blow their whistle at us for dancing "inappropriately". It was SO annoying. And themes arent really that great. When you go to a dance you DANCE! (02/05/2008)

By CaliGirl.Always.

balloons

We had a dance with balloons all over the floor in valentines colors, (like in the movies!) and kids were dancing, and throwing the balloons, it was awesome, and a giant poster decorated with hearts for everyone 2 sign. Those always work. (02/10/2008)

Middle School Dance Ideas

My school had a "walk in the clouds dance" it was so fun! clouds everywhere made out of crinkled paper and cotton balls. some stars and moons! super fun and cool! (02/26/2008)

By Alyssa

Middle School Dance Ideas

Masquerade. I'm an 8th grader in Springfield, MO, and that what we are doing. It's going to be a blast. (03/22/2008)

By allib333

Middle School Dance Ideas

We chose Masquerade in the end. I'm not too thrilled about it, but whatever. (03/26/2008)

By 14 going 20

Middle School Dance Ideas

How about a "party like a rock star" theme? It would be modern, and lots of kids like rock and metal music and I know that most kids will want to be casual, or be in a costume, and I'm in 7th grade myself, so I would know! Also, I have more guy friends than my friends that are girls (yes I'm a tomboy and yes I'm a girl) and so I know from them that most middle schoolers will not like a "date" dance, meaning groups of friends will be more likely to show up than "guy/girl"pairs because, when you say "GOT A DATE?" They feel REALLY pressured. and if the girl says no, well, their heartbroken after mustering up the courage to ask the girl and then having it be smashed to bits. (04/07/2008)

By corinne

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.